Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Cough, cough

I took a hot water bottle to bed last night. How sad is that? Five days away from Midsummer.

But I wanted something to cuddle.

After the busy weekend, the children have gone home, Husband has gone back to work in Hook and even Younger Son has gone to Turkey on holiday, leaving just me and the dawg. And I have a cough. Cough, cough.

Why is it when I look for cough medicine in the chemist, they never have one that is right for my cough? My cough isn't a dry, tickly cough exactly; it's not a chesty cough either; it's just a cough. It hadn't been too bad but I don't think singing loudly helped and Sunday night I kept Husband awake with my coughing. So I bought a little bottle of bronchial medicine, which makes it sound as if I will die next week. And why do medicines have to taste horrible? Eeuurrgghh!!!!! Is it to ensure you're really ill before you will take them?

Okay, rant over. Sort of. I'm going to do another post which is a bit of a rant but I need to empty my head before I can get down to work on writing about growing herbs indoors.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate medicine and rarely take anything - coughs and colds get a home made honey and lemon here.

I used to grow herbs in pots inside but the cats always eat them!!!

Liz Hinds said...

Ah, that's a problem I hadn't thought to mention! I'll add it now! Thank you.

Husband swears by honey and lemon too.

I just tried to follow the link I've put in my sidebar to your blog and it didn't work. I'll have to try again.

Lindsay said...

Try "Buttercup Syrup" (don't think anything to do with buttercups) I can get addicted to the stuff!

Anonymous said...

Vicks Vapo-rub is quite good at relieving coughs - if you can stand the stink. Also, Morrisons do a cheap, own-brand cough medicine, which tastes vile, but I find to be pretty effective.

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

The worse the cough mixture tastes the better it is for you!!! Especially the tar looking stuff LOL

Suburbia said...

I was so cold in bed last night I had to put my socks on and my PJ's. (Ooops now you know I don't normally wear PJ's!)

Hope your cough is feeling a bit better :)

Leslie: said...

Do you have Buckley's cough medicine in the UK? "It tastes terrible but it works." That's their line, by the way. Hold your nose and gulp it down, then give your body a huge shudder and you'll feel better.

Liz Hinds said...

Buttercup syrup sounds like something that's been made by fairies and elves, lindsay!

I'm addicted to Vicks last thing at night, siani. I'm taking the co-op's own brand medicine at night-time too. Seems to be working.

Yes, I think that's the way it works, anne!

I haven't stopped wearing my bed-socks this summer yet, suburbia!

I don't think we have Buckley's her, leslie, but what a great tag!