Thursday, May 01, 2008

Early morning exercise

Our routine
I get up, make a fuss of George, let him out to wee.
I switch on the computer, put on the kettle, get his breakfast.
He comes in, eats his breakfast, I make tea and start on my bran flakes.
He goes out to poo; I say to him, 'Don't you dare run away.'

So this morning the second thing he does is climb over the front fence; I run out and drag him back.
He sits and sulks; I return to the study and watch.
He rushes over the fence and heads for his escape route.
I dash upstairs, pull jogging trousers and jumper over nightie and bedsocks, grab his lead and make for the gate.

He is halfway down the road. I call him, he looks round and speeds up.
I start trotting and catch up with him as he's about to go in someone's garden. I try threats and treats. He prefers a new garden. The Terrier's garden. I follow him so far but feel it won't really do for me to be seen running round their back garden, so I go back to the road and wait.

Now comes my brilliant idea. (Oh, how many times have you read that?)

I crouch down outside the garden wall, where he can't see me, so I can grab him when he comes out.

Seconds pass. Then minutes. I am wondering whether I should check what he's doing when I hear the tinkling of his collar. Behind me. I look round and he's further down the road, watching me.

As is the man in the portakabin set up, a few yards along the road, as our polling booth for today.

The tone is set for my day.

8 comments:

mdmhvonpa said...

You need to put a big bell on his collar, eh?

James Higham said...

Ha, ha - outwitted by George but you'll outwit him in the end.

Rose said...

Thanks for starting my day off with a chuckle, Liz. I am picturing you lying in wait for George. As I've told you before, George's exploits always bring back fond memories of Roco, my dog.

Liked your original offering for "o" yesterday; I can relate to that!

Rose said...

Sorry, but it's me again..I meant to thank you for your post a few days ago about word verification. Someone (or thing??) must have been reading it, because the words are so much clearer!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Still laughing! Yes, A bell for George, I think.

Leslie: said...

ROTFLOL!!!

CherryPie said...

:-) I agree a bell is called for!

tippy said...

Absolutely delightful making me laugh till i cried & held my sides.What a marvelous sense of humor you have! THANX FOR SHARING.