Monday, April 14, 2008

A very Big Issue

This is an abridged extract from an article in the Big Issue (March 31 2008), written by a vendor.

'I had entered one of my bleakest periods ever. A street worker suggested counselling and handed me a leaflet. 'In crisis, in despair? Call Crossways.''

After the man had arranged an appointment he discovered that it was a religious organisation. This didn't worry him; he was just desperate for some help.

'I was ushered into a classroom-sized room where in the corner, by the window, were two chairs facing each other.'

A woman was sitting in one. She invited him to sit in the other and then sat smiling at him for a minute before asking what his problem was.

'When I'd finished, she gave me a treacly smile and said, "Trust me, the only solution to your problem is to accept God into your life." ... she entered what I can only describe as a sermonic trance. She just prayer and prayed, and then prayed.' I'm sure for her, flinging myself off the nearest bridge was not the problem. The problem was that I met Jesus before I jumped.'

He left the room while the woman, oblivious, continued to pray.

How angry does this make me? Very. Angry and sad.

When Jesus met people in need the first thing he did was meet the need, by feeding or healing or whatever was necessary. He demonstrated God's love in the most practical way - before anything else.

I'm writing to the Big Issue. I want to say sorry to the vendor; I want to invite him to Zac's; I want him to experience a better side of church and Christianity. But it's probably too late.

2 comments:

CherryPie said...

That is a very sad story...

Furtheron said...

Sadly it is also how many of us have seen Churchs etc. react as we've gone through life.

I've then subsequently met some of the most loving, spritual and open people possible and those are the ones I admire and aim to try to eventually emulate. Whatever God they chose or indeed chose not to believe in.

I saw soemthing on the TV about a group of Christian women in manchester ( I think) helping getting women off the streets, into rehabs and into shelters etc. Now that is the kind of thing I though Jesus asked of his followers.