Friday, April 04, 2008

Spring is definitely here!

It was the hottest day of the year so far today, and the hottest day of George's life. It might have been as warm yesterday but we didn't go out in the middle of the day so George didn't experience a hot walk until this afternoon.

Currently, even in repose, I'm a bit of a heavy breather, so, on reflection, walking up a hill that makes me pant normally, on a hot afternoon probably wasn't the wisest thing to do. George didn't think so either. But I wanted to see if the sunshine had brought out the bluebells in the secret wood. (They've started but the woodland floor is nowhere near carpeted yet.)


The woods we walk in - Clyne - are next to Clyne Gardens, which is renowned for its azalea and rhododendron displays in late April/May. Nature being what it is, the rhododendron bushes have spread into the wood and threatened to overpower the native vegetation. The City Council began a clearing project that lasted about two years; I've written before about how much the woods have changed as a result. Today we spotted this rogue camellia bush - but I'm not telling where!

5 comments:

Barbara said...

It's very early for bluebells, I saw one last week too.

CherryPie said...

Such pretty spring pictures :-)

Leslie: said...

PLEEZE tell me where it is. I like how you did the photo - I'll have to walk around the corner and take a shot of the neighbour's bush. I noticed yesterday that it's filling up quite nicely with pink blooms just like that one.

mdmhvonpa said...

Spring and fall are 2 of my most favorite times of the year. Well, Winter in the North is nice too but summer is awful here in the 'south'

Ellee Seymour said...

I love these pictures too, they are so uplifting.