Thursday, April 10, 2008

I've got the bleurghs

A few weeks ago I began re-writing my novel. On this blog I recorded the fact that I was sailing along and feeling good about it. After that, life intruded and I didn't pick it up again until this morning. And now I'm feeling bleurghy.

I thought my novel was really good; I thought I'd have no problem finding an agent; I could even see the film. Then it was rejected by at least 15 agents. One was quite interested; two made positive comments about my writing. And I put the manuscript away for over a year.

Looking back on it I can see all sorts of weaknesses. I can understand why it failed. I thought I had the ideas to change it, make it new and better. My enthusiasm was renewed. I cut out great chunks that I loved but that didn't move the story forward.

And now today I'm working half-heartedly on it. Can I really do this again? Before submitting it initially I worked and re-worked it endlessly until I thought it was right. And I was wrong. What's to say I won't be wrong again? My hopes have been rebuilt: can I face them being shattered again? And again?

With each rejection, there's an accompanying dagger in the heart. (That sounds dramatic but, hey, I'm a writer!) I laughed each time I told someone I'd was just waiting for the next rejection slip.

Perhaps I should: start on a completely new novel; look at old stories and try to find a market; stop blogging so much!!

Oh look, it's 10 to 1, lunchtime - I'm not feeling bleurghy: I misinterpreted hunger pangs!

9 comments:

Suburbia said...

Keep going!! It's such a big accompishment to have got this far. You could try chocolate. It always works for me!

Rose said...

Remember, you have actually written a whole novel--that is a quite an accomplisment. (I have written the first page of a novel over and over, and have never gotten any farther!)
John Grisham's first novel was rejected by dozens of publishers, and now he, as one reviewer said, could publish his grocery list and people would buy it.
Hang in there!

Charles-A. Rovira said...

Writing is easy (but not worth much.)

A good novel requires the ability to re-write!

Writing is a craft.

It takes wit and some aptitude, sure, but mostly it takes an critical eye and the ability to take the germ of an idea that you saw in your mind's eye, and the skill honed through countless rewrites, to take that germ and grow it into a full blown cold.

Unknown said...

The creative process can be difficult when our muse is uncooperative. However, editors and publishers are another matter: they can be downright disheartening.

May I suggest that you trust you muse, even when she seems to have gone on vacation or is being uncooperative?

Blessings!

Leslie: said...

Life does come along and interrupt our creative endeavours all the time! I've been "working" on my memoir for so long - here and there - and whenever I get to a part that is difficult for me to deal with, I get bogged down or find something else that needs my attention elsewhere. And I don't even have a complete first draft done! At least you're that far along! Keep going or as you say, try to do something else in the writing area for a while, but come back to it eventually. I'm sure those editors wouldn't have bothered with constructive criticism if there was absolutely no promise for your book. :D

Anonymous said...

I have a special drawer in the cupboard where I collect my rejection notes ;-)

If I were a cross-dresser you'd think they were my pink slips ;-)

Anonymous said...

Even the big-time authors rewrite many times, and all got rejected many times before their first blockbuster. So, never give up... Be patient...

The word 'bleurghy' is not used here nor is it listed in dictionary.com. Help, please...

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I admire you for continuing with it and I, too, think you should keep going!

CherryPie said...

I agree with everyone, you have to keep going now you have got so far :-)