Thursday, April 10, 2008

It' so simple

In most churches, if a member of the congregation starts to nod off, his or her neighbour will give the snoozer a surreptitious nudge; on Tuesday, Annie snored loudly throughout the meeting at Zac's.

I've been going to the Tuesday evening Bible studies for about 18 months now. When I was thinking about going, my thoughts went like this: I am a fairly mature Christian; there will be lots of poor desperate people at Zac's; I could provide help and support for them and Sean.

Sometimes we just fool ourselves. I went thinking I could give; I have received far more than I could ever repay.

My faith has re-blossomed. I've fallen in love with God all over again - no, more than ever before.

Don't get me wrong: I'm happy being a part of Linden Church. I love the people and the way of doing things. I love the fact that no-one says you must believe this, you mustn't do that, you must say this. But it's a different sort of 'congregation' with different needs.

At Zac's, it so simple. God loves us. Just as we are.
xx

3 comments:

Leslie: said...

I know what you mean. I don't go to a Bible Study right now, but for a couple of years I was floundering around trying to find a new church. (long story re old church) I figured because I taught at a Xian school I was surrounded by "God" all the time and had all the "fellowship" I needed. Finally, my good friend asked me to go to her church (a branch of my old one that I'd been to when it started up but didn't feel a "fit.") So since they had finally found a full-time pastor I went - long story short, I made the commitment to join recently. For so long I'd think, "Oh THIS sermon...AGAIN!" but Pastor Jeff has made everything seem new again. I take notes, save them, and refer to them often. I realise now that you can always learn something new, be a help to others, or be helped yourself.

stillers said...

Thanks Liz - the 'party wouldn't be complete without you' - never under estimate your own contribution to the zac's mix!

Campo said...

Good post. It's awful really how we've over-complicated church over the years and, worse still, created something which often doesn't work for the kind of people Jesus sought out. Nice one.