Thursday, April 17, 2008

The eroticisation of chavs

My problem - one of them - is that I do things by halves. I half-listen, half-read, half-pay attention. So I never get the full story. But that doesn't stop me passing bits on.

I was spreading my sultana bread with Lite Flora and thinking, 'Oh, the texture just isn't right,' when i half-remembered the article I'd half-read in the Big Issue about trans fats. They're in lots of processed foods and they're not good for you. (People who read intelligent newspapers could probably tell you more.) I'm going to stop buying it.

Then I remembered the story I'd caught half of when I switched on the radio yesterday afternoon. Apparently student and gay night clubs are holding 'Meet a chav*' nights. The intellectuals were calling it the eroticisation of chavs and comparing it with the appeal of Lady Chatterley's lover - a bit of rough. Common working men have better bodies and are better at sex. Allegedly. You just have to get past the shell suit, the bling**, the beer belly and the Stella.

*Chav (n) (slang) - a young person, often without a high level of education, who follows a particular fashion; Chavs usually wear designer labels including the chav favourite 'Burberry', and if they’re girls, very short skirts, large hoop earrings and stilettos. They wear huge fake gold jewellery**, say 'innit' and their thongs are visible over the top of trousers.

Find out your chav rating here.

8 comments:

MissKris said...

I hardly ever watch daytime TV in the States here but out of utter boredom yesterday while I'm stuck here on the couch recuperating, I happened to tune in to a game show. One of the questions was "What character in a circus - animal or human - would most women compare a man's performance in the bedroom with?" The number one answer was "Clown"!! Oooooooh...what does THAT say?! The human species is such a strange, strange bunch. All this interest in sex and still women think most men are clods. Errr...clowns. Oh well. Enough said. By the high percentage of women choosing that character, I don't think it matters if a man is a 'chav', a metrosexual, a stud-muffin or however you want to classify them. The outer packaging certainly doesn't always reveal a prize, I'm thinkin'. And to be fair, a female's packaging doesn't guarantee she is what she's advertising, either.

mdmhvonpa said...

Heh ... You're illustrative screams 'TRAMP'. All that is missing is the mandatory tattoo.

Leslie: said...

This ties in to my post today. Check it out.

Maybe if I wore that outfit, I'd get picked up????

Then again, I don't think I'd care for the type who would do that, anyway. lol

Ruthie said...

Hahaha.... I love the visual aid!

The U.S. has its own version of chavs...

Suburbia said...

You have just illustrated the comment I made on your post above!You see I did have the radio on but I was only half listening!

James Higham said...

Ugggh!

Furtheron said...

You have to be kidding....! Lord preserve us!

Maybe this is some bizarre way that we'll vary the genepool enough ... :-)

MissKris said...

Oh, and I must add...I'm here the next day...that I think we're neck-to-neck in the "halves" of everything. It's our age, my dear, I'm sure of it. And now with a total loss of estrogen since my oopherectomy...now THERE is a word!...I'm even spacier than ever. Add a powerful narcotic to it and I wish you could be a fly on the wall around here as my Dear Hubby and daughter try to explain the simplest of things to me, haha! Oh well...if nothing else, I'm relaxed! ;-D Have a great time in London!