Saturday, March 08, 2008

Saturday Photohunt - Different


On International Women's Day, 2008, this Photohunters entry is dedicated to women who dare to be different, who dare to challenge and dream, to take action and hope.
From the Greenham Common Women's Peace Camp website
"On the 5th September 1981, the Welsh group “Women for Life on Earth” arrived on Greenham Common, Berkshire, England. They marched from Cardiff with the intention of challenging, by debate, the decision to site 96 Cruise nuclear missiles there. On arrival they delivered a letter to the Base Commander which among other things stated ‘We fear for the future of all our children and for the future of the living world which is the basis of all life’.
"When their request for a debate was ignored they set up a Peace Camp just outside the fence surrounding RAF Greenham Common Airbase. They took the authorities by surprise and set the tone for a most audacious and lengthy protest that lasted 19 years. Within 6 months the camp became known as the Women’s Peace Camp and gained recognition both nationally and internationally by drawing attention to the base with well publicised imaginative gatherings.This unique initiative threw a spotlight on ‘Cruise’ making it a national and international political issue throughout the 80s and early 90s."
P.S. I couldn't find the badge I was looking for so had to add a representation of it to the photo.
xx

28 comments:

Gledwood said...

I remember Greenham Common... in the news for well over a year and a half¬! What a blast from the past! Excellent stuff!

Anonymous said...

Off Topic:
So did you go and see your namesake & HRH Phil the Greek, visiting Swansea today?

Gledwood said...

Bloody hell did Marm visit Swansea today? I hope you were there in the front row with a fresh hot sardine toastie for her Majesty!

jmb said...

Great entry for today's Photo Hunt, Liz. 19 years. Amazing. I'll go check out the link.

Napaboaniya.Elaine Ling said...

Happy International Woman's Day.
Dare to be different.... we all live too short to be the same :)

Leslie: said...

Wow, I'm impressed! But then, what else should I think, considering I'm 1/4 Welsh! You should see my post - 3/4 Welsh!!! :D

Gattina said...

Very interesting and different from all other photo hunters !

Anonymous said...

Really excellent - I boggle at the fact it was nineteen years.
Pity Queenie hasn't dared to be a little more different, like eschewing militarism... now there's a thought.
Hope your weekend weather better than ours.
A.

JaamZIN said...

what a great post! good choice for this theme!

Me and my crazy mind

Anonymous said...

Great, great post for today!!

Happy Intl Woman's Day and have a great weekend.

Anonymous said...

Ouh great info here. And I have to say, I LOVE your Golden Retriever!

Aisha said...

This is a good post! :) It's nice to know about the meaning of things or how it started. :) Good post!

Hootin Anni said...

I LOVE this!!!!

My Photo Hunt Different is shared, I hope, if you haven't already, you can drop by and pay a visit. Happy weekend.

JesieBlogJourney said...

Fits the theme perfectly well. Women....dare to be different.

Happy Intl Woman's Day

CherryPie said...

What a great post. I didn't realise how the camp started, but I do remember it very well. Now you have reminded me I can still visualise scenes from the news at the time.

Happy Womans Day to you :-)

Dragonstar said...

Excellent post Liz! I can't believe how long ago it all started - seems too recent in my memory.

Yoshi said...

That's pretty cool! commendations for being different is a good thing!

thanks for stopping by :D

jams o donnell said...

Great choice Liz. Wow it seems like it was only yesterday. Have a great weekend

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Well done, Liz!

Anonymous said...

Nice entry for the theme. Have a great weekend...

Carver said...

Liz, this is a fabulous post. I am so glad you chose this for the different theme.

Anonymous said...

Yay - protest of any kind is viewed as "different" by politicians and the media today. It is time more of us used our diminishing civil rights to protest!

Anonymous said...

great take on the theme.
happy women's day!
have a nice weekend! :D

Anonymous said...

really nice theme!
happy women's day!

SnoopyTheGoon said...

Well, that's a different take on different - for sure ;-)

Have a great week.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely different!... Awesome photo!...Thanks for visiting mine!... Have a great day!...c",)

Anonymous said...

I didn't realize it was International Woman Day. Great photo for the theme.

Natalie said...

Happy International Women's Day! :)