Saturday, March 22, 2008

Hangin' with the bikers

Sean and the God Squad (Christian motorbikers) organised a bike run today. It was particularly to commemorate bikers who've died over recent years (Sean, as an ordained minister, has taken several funerals himself). But today's run was a little extra-special as it finished in a recreation ground in Bridgend, a town in south Wales that has gained notoriety over the last year. Since January 2007, seventeen of its young people have committed suicide.

With so much bad news and a sense of sorrow about the town the bikers wanted to say, 'we haven't forgotten you.' A floral tribute, in especially bright colours, was attached to a hedge in the recreation ground at the end of the ride. A message signed by many of the bikers was left with it.

There were about 70 bikes and many more bikers on the run. They came from as far afield as Sussex and Manchester, and God Squadders, members of the Christian Motorcycle Association and other bike clubs rode alongside Hell's Angels.

This is a very short (less than 2 minutes) film. Please watch it to get an idea of the day.

The music accompanying it is by Bryn Haworth, recorded at a gig he played in Zac's Place a few weeks ago.





P.S. I was just there to make tea!

8 comments:

Leslie: said...

I don't know why the video didn't come up, but will try again tomorrow. Might be my own computer. Glad to hear about the bike ride! Wish I could have been there to help make the tea.

Elsie said...

What a touching video, Liz. And what a great group you all are. One never knows how or by whom God will touch them.

jams o donnell said...

What a wonderful tribute Liz. I jut can't ger my head around what's going on in Bridgend. THat so many children and young men and women would choose to commit suicide beggars belief.

CherryPie said...

What a lovely tribute :-)

It looks like you had a great day out!

Leslie: said...

It was my computer so I just watched the video. Very moving.

Anonymous said...

Its easy sometimes to accuse Christians of not living in the real world. I am glad thats not true of you.

Happy easter.

Furtheron said...

Bryn Haworth - I saw him many years ago when I was a teenager and the local evangelical church group I was part off went to a gig of his somewhere - can't remember where now... long time ago.

Lovely tribute.

BumbleVee said...

Beautiful music and great to see all the bikes and bikers.

Here, in May I will be riding in a group of about 1,000 as we wind our way through the city and out to a ranch for a huge BBQ. It is in aid of motorcycle safety and the brain injured ...

tx for letting me know about this post...

motorcycle ride