Thursday, February 21, 2008

Loving the unlovely

Zac's last night was ... interesting. Different. Chaotic. Challenging.

As well as the usual crowd, two rough sleepers stayed for the Bible study. One, let's call him Tom, had recently lost his brother and was grieving. Sean explained that Tom and his brother had been been inseparable all their lives. Tom was unsteady on his feet.

The other, Harry, was alternating between caring for and abusing Tom.

In different ways they both disrupted the study. Tom seemed to be placing his trust in Johnny Rotten and the Sex Pistols - because you can't see God but you can see Johnny Rotten. Harry said he believed and that each morning he said a prayer to thank God for a new day. He didn't go to church though; he preferred to go to the Tenby (a pub up the road). He said he didn't wait on street corners for the soup run or the food hand-outs because - no disrespect to the people who do it - 'I've got some dignity.'

I said they were disruptive but I don't mean it as a complaint. I was glad for their input. it helped me to see a little, to understand a bit more. It also made me face an unpleasant fact.

In the church circles in which I move we talk a lot about being Jesus in the community, about being out there, doing what Jesus would do. Jesus would have walked alongside Tom; I couldn't. And do you know why? Because he smelled. I don't know what it was and I tried not to breathe too deeply when he passed but it made me draw away.

I can go so far - as long as it's just inside my comfort zone. Thank God he isn't so picky.

9 comments:

Leslie: said...

Yes, Liz, thank God that Jesus wasn't picky and would go amongst the worst of mankind. And we can thank Him for that. I do understand how you must have felt because, after all, we are only human and do the best we can in our "state" of imperfection.

jmb said...

Yes we are still works in progress in this department, aren't we? You have to admire people who deal with this in their stride.

Furtheron said...

I have similar experiences in AA. There are some people who come in - Newcomers we call them - who I am inclined to help, speak to them, give them my number, encourage them to to "keep coming back", try open their minds etc.

There are others, normally those that just won't stop drinking that I can't relate to and don't want to help. And I feel bad about that but in some respects it's about what fits to you. But as you say I admire those I see who can welcome anyone with open arms.

Anonymous said...

Crikey! You have a busy life - then you have to try and compare your behaviour with Gods... I think most people would find that a bit daunting. There are a particularly sick making American Christian group who give out badges saying "What would Jesus do?" It would only make you wonder why you even bothered trying...

MaryB said...

Liz, I love the way you write about Zac's Place. And I agree. I can walk in Jesus' footprints only so far. Well, that's what make us, er, not Jesus, I suppose.

Unknown said...

Wonderful story, Liz—and a dose of reality.

Thank you for your kind words as I try to regain my health from these maladies that have me down.

Joy T. said...

Came over to say thanks for visiting my blog and stayed to read a great post. I too have a bit of a problem walking/sitting/standing amongst the stinky, so it's good to know I won't be judged too harshly for it.

Anonymous said...

Practical Tip : The church or Zac could offer free baths/showers for the homeless. Why not?

Even free soapbars like hotels have. Deos too (excuse the pun).

Free mints for the drinkers?

-eve- said...

Oh, that's funny! Yes, I know just what you mean. And sometimes, we try our best, and can bear them for just a little while, but then are so glad to be free of them once they go off... :-)