Sunday, February 17, 2008

Knicker elastic

It isn't what it used to be.

I recall Great-Auntie Connie telling us of the time she was walking through town when her knickers fell down. 'I stopped, bent over, picked them up and put them in my handbag. Then I carried on walking,' she said.

They don't make knickers with proper elastic like they used to. The sort that was threaded through a hem. I suppose there must have been warning signs when the elastic was going: slightly looser drawers and not so much ... well, elasticity, but going out in them was always slightly dicing with the death of embarrassment.

When the elastic goes in today's knickers it's much more insidious. You might be less likely to find them around your ankles but they can still make for jolly uncomfortable wearing.

You're out walking when you become aware of your knickers moving - not with you but on their own: they're slowly edging their way down your bottom. You try to pull them back up - surreptitiously naturally, although it's hard to be surreptitious while grasping your own bum. Once they've passed the most sticky-out bit of your rear anatomy you might as well admit defeat. They're on the home run now. Don't try and fight it but resign yourself to getting home as quickly as you can with knickers bunched up on a level with the top of your thighs.

Just be glad you're wearing trousers.
xx

7 comments:

Dragonstar said...

Oh yes! I remember being in town with my mum when this happened to her. Just like your great-aunt, she wriggled slightly, bent down, and hooked them off her feet. I was so embarrassed! She just carried on walking.

There's no way you can repair modern knickers - just have to chuck them once the elastic goes so far. Trousers are a boon!

Leslie: said...

It's sure a plus that women can wear pants (trousers to you) now. But if I feel a little movement, I just reach around and tug them up under the waistband of the trousers.

jmb said...

Goodness I find the elastic lasts well in the knickers I wear, Jockey cotton knit and they get holes before the elastic goes. I am seldom in other than trousers but if I am I have the problem of pantyhose creeping down. To avoid catastrophe I wear knickers under them and over them!

MaryB said...

I think everyone has a panty-elastic tale. And I think everyone had an elderly female relative who had elastic problems, as well. I do wear a lot of skirts so it's a very real dilemma.

BTW Liz, how's your Lenten discipline coming along? I've been very good, so far. How many more days, now?

Anonymous said...

Plus it was great for making little boys' catapults too :-)

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Oh, you are so right about that! I'm sure James will be over soon!

DeeJay said...

There just HAD to be a reason for thongs. I think you just found it!