Wednesday, February 06, 2008

I've just realised ...

I've given up chocolate for Lent.

That wasn't a carefully-thought-out decision; it was a 'what can I take a photo of that begins with "C"?' decision. But now I feel sort of committed.

I was brought up giving up things for Lent. Chocolate, biting my finger-nails, sugar in my tea - the only one to last - and though it has no significance for me it is a convenient time period. A long time period. A very long time period if you've given up chocolate.

I know people who prefer to use Lent as a time for renewal, rethinking, rebirth. I wonder if I can put a positive spin on giving up chocolate ...

I will use this season not think on what I have given up (chocolate) but to meditate on what is important in my life (chocolate), what I choose to spend my money on (chocolate), and where I want to spend eternity (in chocolate heaven).

Forty-seven days to Easter Sunday. Oh my.
xx

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my!! Thats very brave :0)

Anonymous said...

It is good to know that at least someone takes Lent seriously...

Liz Hinds said...

No, Amanda, stupid! Lack of hand/brain communication!

Absolutely, mutley, a good Christian lady what like I am.

MaryB said...

Liz - I'm usually one of those positive-spin Lent people rather than one who gives things up. But THIS YEAR, I pledged sisterhood with you. I, too, will give up chocolate for Lent. We can form our own Chocoholics Anonymous support group for the next 6 weeks.

Dragonstar said...

I meant to comment here, but I ended up saying it all after your ABC post!

Anonymous said...

Choccies? Give up CHOCCIES?

I know people who'd rather give up christianity for Lent ;-)

James Higham said...

Dangerous thing, Liz, givng up the chocolate.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Roll on Easter Sunday, then! Tonight I taught a man whose job is selling kinder surprise eggs in Sicily - not an easy task!

jmb said...

I gave up chocolate for advent and Christmas so I'll have to think of something else and very quickly too.

Leslie: said...

How can you do this to yourself? And to your dear hubby? Valentine's Day is next week so all he can get you is flowers and naughty lingerie now. What will you dip the strawberries in????

;D