Monday, December 17, 2007

Is this a record?

Changing Younger Son's bed this afternoon I happened to look under it. Not a sensible thing to do. I found thirty-five socks. Yes, that's 35.

Thirty-five socks. Can you believe it?!

Younger Son is in Amsterdam for a long weekend; Elder Son and Daughter-in-law are in Berlin. How the young live.

* * * * * * * * * * *

We usually have two Christmas trees: one in the lounge and one in the hall. This morning, after some careful consideration, we decided we'd just get one for the lounge. George is only allowed in there when we're there with him so we can prevent too much damage being done. The hall, however, is in the centre of the house and George has free run there. Also Holly is here for Christmas and when they start hareing around like lunatics, a tree in the hall is likely to be an easy target.

But that meant we would have a very drab, half-decorated hall. (You remember, Husband began decorating it back in February?) But then I had my brilliant idea. Really I should be employed as 'someone who has brilliant ideas'. It would be a bit like being a philosopher but more fun. I wonder if they advertise vacancies in the Jobcentre.

Anyway my brilliant idea. Husband always cringes when I tell him I have a brilliant idea. Mostly they're about as good as Baldrick's cunning plans (for those of you who've seen Blackadder). But this one really was brilliant. And here it is:

On the bit of wall that will be covered by wallpaper - come the revolution or completion, whichever is first - I've painted holly! And Husband stuck up the lights and I wound tinsel round. Now, isn't that just brilliant? Don't you wish you had a half-decorated hall on which you could something similar? I thought so.

I have 98% of a 1 litre tin of specially-mixed, bright green paint if you need some ...

xx

11 comments:

ThunderDragon said...

Very festive!

GP said...

Genius!

Liz Hinds said...

Thank you, thunderdragon and unpremed; sometimes I amaze myself with my own genius!

Anonymous said...

that is brilliant!! Love it :0)

Furtheron said...

35? So was that 17 pairs and just one odd one or all odd ones or somewhere in the middle?

I'd never look under my sons bed - it's not worth the potential trauma.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I think that's truly brilliant!

Unknown said...

Perhaps I should look beneath my bed: I know some monster is eating my socks because it’s so difficult to find a matching pair. Could be bed be that monster?

Leslie: said...

What an absolutely FAHbulous idea, dahling! Tres chic! :D

Puss-in-Boots said...

35 socks...and I bet none were matching!

I do like your cunning plan...very Christmassy...I loved Blackadder, wish it was still on.

Liz Hinds said...

Welshcakes, lslie, amanda, thank you!

Furtheron, nick, robyn, the socks were all there singly but there will be a number of pairs amongst them as they're nearly all black socks. There are bound to be odd ones as well though - their partners already digested by the under-bed monster.

Anonymous said...

What a great idea- really clever!

I am not sure I even have 35 socks myself - but I brought my son 5 new pairs a month ago and then another pack of 5 pairs two weeks ago and there are none in the wash... I am not looking under his bed.