Thursday, November 15, 2007

Playing off

At the last moment this evening, having been dithering all day, I decided I would go to the Play-offs. This is a monthly competition for 10 minute snippets of 'work-in-progress' plays by local amateur writers. Writing Buddy, Derek, and I have been planning to enter for ... oh, years, and this summer we actually started writing. But we've stalled so I hoped attending the play-offs would give me a kick-start and that I, in turn, could kick Derek.

But, as is my wont, I left it to the last minute to decide, then sprayed on some perfume as I didn't have time to wash, and rushed out the door. (I had Maltesers for dinner.) Betty has been behaving for a few days now so I wasn't worried when she stalled. I turned the key and she grunted. Now, I was a little worried. I tried again. This time she put in a bit more effort before giving up. Panic levels were getting dangerously high by now. Then she started. It was a relief. Breaking down in the outside lane at traffic lights is rarely recommended. Especially when it's very cold and you don't have coat. Or your phone. (Note to self: put phone in handbag! NOW!)

Five excerpts were performed, or rather, read through. A lot does depend on the actors involved and if they have any idea of the script, but all the same, there were two clear winners. They now go on to the finals in December. At the end I spoke to Binda, who organises the play-offs and he said to get our script in and it could be included in the March event. So we'll have to do that. Judging by the quality of some of tonight's plays, we'll be in with as good a chance as anyone.
xx

6 comments:

Leslie: said...

Oh Liz, you give me such a giggle every time I read about your Malteasers habit and Betty. I can just see you hopping in, sans coat or phone, and worrying all the way there and back that you'd get stuck out in the dark. Sounds like a fun evening, though.

Puss-in-Boots said...

Aahh! Another Maltesers fan...I adore those little chocolate malt ball. We can get them in dark chocolate, too, which is my favourite. I often have them for dinner...

Now, as for that play...what are you doing reading this? Get writing!

Unknown said...

Liz, you have mentioned Maltesers so often that I had to Google the goodies. Just did. I don’t think we sell the band here in the U.S., but generically call them “malted milk balls” and I now fully appreciate your, uh, obsession with them. I could also easily develop such a fondness.

Anonymous said...

Do you mean the plays weren't very good or that yours is particularly brilliant? I have never written a play - I might give it a go!!

I have a parcel of malted milk balls for you by the way....

Liz Hinds said...

Leslie, you'd have thought that I would have learned after my experiences last winter when I saw more of the car recovery man than I did of my husband.

oh, look, everyone is talking about Maltesers. I had managed to resist them so far this morning ...

Me obsessed? Not at all, Nick!

Mutley, both. Gimme, gimme, gimme.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Yes, get that script in!