Wednesday, November 28, 2007

I didn't expect to see you here!

There's a post on Nourishing Obscurity upon which I meant to comment but James is so prolific that it disappeared off the page before I had a chance!

In his post James looks at [churches] new directions a cause for concern. He lists a number of issues including exclusivity.

"5. The notion of exclusivity is a huge problem, theologically and socially. Are those of another faith, e.g. Buddhism, Judaism, Islam, condemned to hellfire because they don't accept Jesus of Nazareth as Messiah?

"Logic dictates not. Logic dictates that these people would be categorized as innocents and who knows, maybe they're given another chance later. Maybe when all is revealed, the true nature of affairs will encompass all of these anomalies.

"Through the gospels run compassion and concern for one's fellow man. It's most certainly not manifested in condemnation until one comes to Paul, with whom I have great problems. This is why I prefer to stick to the gospels although Paul did say some intelligent things."

Firstly I agree about Paul. He is not my favourite person. Give me Peter the blunderer any day.

But exclusivity. Jesus himself said, 'I am the way, the truth and the life. No-one comes to the Father except through me.' That seems fairly straightforward. And exclusive.

But I don't know.

Rabbi Lionel Blue used to be on the radio a lot. I always enjoyed his talks as he was both amusing and intelligent. As far as I could judge, he had a relationship with God that was very similar to mine. But if that was the case, and Jesus is the only way, why didn't God say, 'Hey, Lionel, you've got it wrong, you know.'

You can't say he was innocent (lacking knowledge): he probably knows the stories of Jesus better than I do. Yet given the option of choosing Jesus, he declined. Where does that leave him?

Fundamentalists would say destined for 'hell'. Just as Saul, who was persecuting Christians, was until Christ met him on the road to Damascus.

Is there a final choice? One that is offered at that instant between life and death? Does Jesus himself come to meet us? I have no idea.

I know there are people who have prayed faithfully for years for their partners, children, parents, friends to come to know Christ. Will those prayers be answered? Even it happens beyond our knowing?

I believe Jesus is the only way.
I believe we each have to make a choice.
I believe we will be very surprised to see who will be in heaven with us.
xx

8 comments:

MissKris said...

Well, I know from personal experience that praying for others, i.e. loved ones, works. Neither of my parents were particularly religious until they became faced square-on with the idea they were headed towards eternity. I'd prayed for many years that "whatever it takes, Lord" and both made their peace with Him just before they died. God was gracious enough to let me know...no last-second-guessing on my part. Both parents assured me just before dying that they were ready to go. So even if it seems like prayers for others are bouncing off brass walls, that isn't true. That's just the enemy's way of discouraging us. Perseverance pays in the end. My experiences have proven that to me. As to religion, I agree with you. It's quite strongly 'suggested' that one way is the only way - whichever church is preaching! - but it's WHOSOEVER may come. Too bad that seems to have become lost in all the translations and interpretations of scripture thru the years.

Anonymous said...

Your comment misskris is most comforting as my father is terminally ill - thank you for that.

I had come in to say: I believe you are right, Liz.

mdmhvonpa said...

I'm going to have to throw my lot with Thomas ... it's hard to be a scientist AND a Christian.

Gledwood said...

I thought with Christianity it was meant to be that Jesus came to gather a small number who by his power and holy spirit would "overcome" and qualify to rule with him after the second coming and after everyone's resurrected from the dead. People who currently follow other religions are not condemned; their time is just not now.

Well that's the version I was always told!

Liz Hinds said...

That's good to hear, Kris. thank you for sharing that.

Hope things are going okay, Shirl.

mdm, I am more inclined to think that science shows how amazing the world is, and that confirms to me that there was a creator.

I'm not quite sure about that, gleds, but we are each given a choice.

Leslie: said...

I agree with your last statements, Liz, but I've always wondered about those other "religions." We had a special speaker a while back who spoke specifically to this issue. I still can't get my head around the fact that all those who do not accept Jesus as their Saviour will go to hell. Maybe they have their own version of "heaven." Christians speak of the "truth" in the Bible - well, that is OUR truth. Maybe "their" truth is different from ours. This acceptance of others' belief systems is called pluralism and maybe because I have tolerance for others and their customs and beliefs, that doesn't make me a good Christian. ??? The fundamentalists wouldn't think so. But then I consider myself to be rather more liberal and take some of the words of the Bible to be from that era's customs, etc. We won't ever know until we reach heaven...I know I will because of His grace.

Liz Hinds said...

That's right, Leslie. Acceptance of - and respect for - others's beliefs is a given simply because following Jesus' instructions to love our neighbour should over-ride any other feelings.

Crushed said...

I agree to a large extant, about Paul.
Nietzche said that really, the religion most practised was Pauliciamity, and the only true Christian died on the cross.

However, the other epistles were all written by people who knew Christ. I just take quotes from Paul's Epistles with a pinch of salt- he never actually met the man.