Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Wot no MOT?

Younger Son's car is due for an MOT. It was booked in for Saturday but he didn't get there on time so they couldn't do it. He booked it in again for today. Younger Son is in work so guess who had to take it? Yip, that's right, me.

I got ready and was just about to leave when Husband says, 'You'd better pump up the tyres first.'

I grind my teeth and head off to the petrol station. I have never driven YS's car before and when I stop I can't work out how to get the key out of the ignition. I leave the driver door open - in case it locks me out - while I pump up the tyres. I do three but the fourth will only let air out not in. I give up and drive, with one slightly deflated tyre, across town in a rush to get to the garage in time for the appointment.

As I drive I notice a little orange light on the dashboard. I don't know what it means but I am fairly sure it is not a good sign. Although not as bad as a red light.

YS is already in my bad books. He drank all the milk meaning I had to go out BEFORE breakfast to buy some in order to have my cereal. He is 22; he should know by now that making me wait for my breakfast is not likely to get me on his side.

His car fails but not for either the tyre or the orange light. The mechanic tells me what the problem is but he is underneath the car while he is talking. I'm not sure but I think it is something to do with the sea.

in between garage visiting I have been writing about cocktail party themes. Now I can't decide whether to opt for the sophisticated black tie affair or the gaudy fake-palm-tree beach do. Both have their good points.

10 comments:

DeeJay said...

Oh dear not a good day!
I will open the window about the time YS comes home from work, I might just be able to hear his reception from down here in East Kent!

Lee said...

Hi Liz...I'll post one comment to your posts of the past couple or so days...I'm behind in blogging and am valiantly trying to catch up. Time has been my enemy of late.

I think it's wonderful that you held a wake for dear Harvey. A bittersweet time...but it's always best to remember the good times, the happy times. :)

Poor son! Is he back on your good side yet? ;)

ej said...

Hey liz,

Been awhile since I last visited, I know.
I'll keep in touch with ya!


ej

sally in norfolk said...

Sounds typical of most sons to me....

MissKris said...

I absolutely HATE vehicles. And if MOT is anything like our DEQ here in our state, I don't think I'll be passing mine first time thru with my truck, either. I never do. My tags expired Aug. 31st and I'll probably procrastinate getting them like I always do. It drives Dear Hubby crazy!! I've been so fortunate in the past not to get a ticket but I'll drive blocks out of my way if I see any police cars in the vicinity, haha! Naughty, naughty me!

Liz Hinds said...

Did you hear, ageis?!

Lee, I know the feeling: my visiting and commenting is behind schedule. YS is my baby; I am a softie; it doesn't take long to get round me.

Copper, good to hear from you. I'll be over to see you later.

Well, kris, if we don't hear from you for a while, we'll know they've caught up with you and thrown away the key!

Sally, indeed it does!

Gattina said...

Age doesn't matter for emptying the fridge ! The day he lives of his own and has to think about milk because there is no mum to buy it then he is old enough, lol ! I speak of experience !

mdmhvonpa said...

URGH! I hate not having context when being asked to do favors. Just .... URGH!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Sorry you had a bad day with the car. Oh, go for the black tie thingie, Liz!

Liz Hinds said...

Gattina, I think you're right - and we haven't even started on toilet rolls!

mdm, like I said, I'm a sucker.

Yes, welshcakes, it has to be the blacktie do, doesn't it?