Sunday, September 30, 2007

There's a little black cloud

And it's sitting on my shoulder. Husband just told me to stop sighing; I didn't even know I was.

Wales is out of the 2007 Rugby World Cup. Our fate was decided this afternoon when we lost to Fiji, 38-34.

To be honest, we probably don't deserve to go through: the boys have had their moments but there've been far too many mistakes.
To cheer me up, here's a photo of Doug Howlett, who scored his sixth try of the World Cup this morning in New Zealand's match against poor little Romania. I would be no good as a referee: if the underdogs were doing really badly I'd be inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt in my decision-making if I could.
But Doug Howlett is very lovely and, as Wales are out, it had better be the All Blacks who lift the trophy. They're exciting to watch and deserve to win.

9 comments:

jmb said...

I do hope despite your disappointment you will still keep an eye out for and post photos of handsome ruby players. As you say, they would not really have deserved it.

Gledwood said...

Being told to stop sighing and not even realizing you're doing it?

I know the feeling...

Lee said...

Hey! Liz! Sorry about Wales being out of the World Cup...but how about giving us Aussies your cheers! We want to be the ones to lift the trophy, not the Kiwis! ;)

MissKris said...

Just stopping by this rainy Sunday morning with my scones and coffee to visit and catch up. Enjoyed your holiday photos and write-up. I also hope your visit with Welshcakes works out well! I haven't met any internet friends face-to-face yet but I've met penpals in the past, some with success, some not so good. I'll be interested to see how the visit goes!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

He's cute, isn't he?

Puss-in-Boots said...

Hmmm, that fellow is rather lovely, isn't he?

Commiserations on bumming out of the World Cup. But I really want Australia to get this one, not the Kiwis...so can you send a prayer or two our way? Pretty please?

James Higham said...

So whom are you supporting now, Liz?

Furtheron said...

Liz lets face it the Northern Hemisphere can't play rugby like the southern boys can. I don't know why - I think the professional game has something to do with it. They now all need to show they are the hero, the one that won it, so we have people out of position, selfish passing or not passing, cynical fouls etc.

Even Argentina really impressed me with their team sprit. Wales have lost it, England can't even remember where it was etc. This world cup should tell us something but I think people who can make the changes won't get it...

Liz Hinds said...

I'm ever so sorry Robyn and Lee but it's got to be the All Blacks. And not just because Australia keeps beating us!

James, All Blacks and, I suppose, England till they're knocked out. It hurts to do that but I'll try.

Furtheron, I'm afraid you're right. The northern hemisphere has been well and truly shown up.