Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Not at all soporific

I've just watched Miss Potter.

You know the sort of film where you know from the opening scene that you're going to love it? It was one of those. Gentle, beautiful, educational, just adorable.

We have a visit to the Lake District planned for later this month and one of the suggested trips is the Beatrix Potter trail so it seemed a good idea to watch the film first. (I knew it wouldn't be Husband's sort of film but he's away so I could snuggle up on my own and enjoy it.)

I still have the one and only Beatrix Potter book I ever owned. As a child, I was given The Tale of Mrs Tiggywinkle, the hedgehog who took in washing and dried gentlemen's kerchiefs on the washing-line.

A few years ago I attended a reading by Walter Wangerin, an American author. One of the books he'd written is called The Bedtime Rhyme. I bought a copy and asked him to sign it and address to 'the child as yet unborn'. It's for my first grandchild. Whoever and whenever that may be.

This is how the story ends.

xxx

5 comments:

Gledwood said...

Beatrix Potter's books are quite amazing ... only the other day I happened to find an Enid Blyton Famous Five... could not help reading it all in one night! Oh, the innocent age she comes from!

A film about Enid Blyton... now imagine the story THAT might tell! I've heard all MANNER of rumours about her!!!

Thanks for popping round my blog. & I still love your rippling Welsh banner btw!

chux said...

What a nice sentiment on that book!

I was curious about seeing Miss Potter if my wife suggested it, but maybe not if your husband ran the opposite way!!

Liz Hinds said...

It's definitely not a boy film, chux, not unless you're very in touch with your female psyche (sidekick?)

Gledwood, I was reading on someone else's blog that she'd just read an Enid Blyton too. It must be the season.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Is that a new film, Liz? Or is it one that's been on TV before? There was a nice one a few years ago. I love BP books and I have also read many of them in French. [They're very good for teaching tenses.] That's a sweet picture and it must be a lovely book. Let's hope you get your wish soon.

Liz Hinds said...

It's a new film, Welshcakes, with Renee Zellweger in the title role. She does use some of her Bridget Jones facial expressions but once you get past that, it's fine. A highly recommended film about a very independent lady.