Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Fast cars and funk

When I arrived at the office today Alun said, 'You look very smiley!'

'I've just driven here in Betty.'

He looked puzzled so I explained. 'I'm driving along and - clonk - the glove compartment falls open. I lean across and push it closed. Bink - the radio turns itself off; I turn it back on. Clonk, the glove compartment falls open; I push it closed. Bink, the radio turns itself off. Clonk, the glove compartment falls open. Is it any wonder I'm hysterical by the time I get to work?'

Ah, the joys of driving an old car.

* * * * * * * * * *

Hair appointment this afternoon. I arrive to be told that Mark has had to go home very sick. Lindsay does my hair instead. She is very enthusiastic. She chops and slices and thins. At the end she says, 'It's very versatile. Next time you're going somewhere funky, call in and we'll funk it up for you.'

She's confused me with someone who goes to funky places but I don't tell her; I just smile. I think about telling her I am going to Zac's tonight; that is about as funky as I get.

8 comments:

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Love the tale of the car! That's the sort of ride I'd like! Are you going to post a photo of your new hairstyle? Go on!

Shades said...

Are you sure that Betty isn't a reincarnation of Herbie?

Does she wipe her window when you ask her a question? Slam the doors?

Anonymous said...

They will funk your hair up. That I would like to see.

Liz Hinds said...

No, Welshcakes, I don't think so. I need to get used to it and mess it up to make it me first!

Delicolor, our last beetle used to toot her horn as she went round corners, but Betty's biding her time. She still only creeps out to play with her buddies when I'm asleep.

Sleeping on it does quite a good job of funking it up, Steve!

Clare said...

Are you sure that the glove compartment opening is not related to the radio going on and off...?

Liz Hinds said...

Clare, I hadn't thought of that!

Ruthie said...

Have you ever considered a mohawk?

That would be funky.

Liz Hinds said...

Mohawk, hmm. Perhaps I'll consider that one a little longer, ruthie!