Thursday, May 10, 2007

Tag

Well, that was weird.

Last Friday I tried to get Youtube to put my video, The Quiet Canary, up on my blog. It wasn't working so I eventually managed how to embed it myself - it was quite easy actually.

This morning I checked into my blog and at the top was The Quiet Canary. Not once but three times. Youtube must have done what it was supposed to do - eventually.

I've deleted them so as not to confuse you ... or me.

So, I've been tagged by Mauigirl with this meme. This was rather a nice one to do. Made me think a little.

1. What do you hope to accomplish with your blog?
To make people laugh occasionally. If there is something I would want to accomplish as such, that would be it. If the question means ‘why do you blog?’ then it’s a different answer.

I started blogging about 18 months ago having been introduced to it by my son, and I am now totally addicted – just ask Husband! I am a wannabe writer and – if you've read much of my blog you’ll know about my prodigious rejection rate - this is a way of getting my writing read by others. It’s also a way of emptying my brain when I get little thoughts that won’t go away in my head.

Of course what I would really like is to be noticed by an agent/publisher, be made an offer I can’t refuse, and become rich and famous on the back of my blog.


2. Are you a spiritual person?
Hmm, I suppose the answer is yes. I don’t spend a lot of time meditating and wandering around in a long white robe scattering petals as I walk, which is what I sort of think of as a ‘spiritual person’.

I believe in the Trinity.
I believe in the creator God who is everywhere in everything around me. I only have to look at the variety of grasses on a tiny piece of wild land to see God.
I believe in Jesus, God and man, who through his death and resurrection made it possible for me to know forgiveness.
I believe in the Holy Spirit of God, who is in me and in the world, and working in me - and what a hard job he has!

I talk to God as I would to a person at any time and in any place. I chat, I scream, I laugh, I am grateful.

I don’t know if all that makes me spiritual …


3. If you were stranded on a deserted island, what three things would you want to have with you?
In the eyes of many people, dogs count as things, so I’ll have Harvey (is that cheating?)
A proper flushing toilet
Brother of the More Famous Jack, book by Barbara Trapido and one of my absolute favourites, to read on said toilet


4. What's your favourite childhood memory?
Jumping off the top of my slide and trying desperately to fly.


5. Is this your first meme?
No, I've done 'What's weird about you?' and probably others.

Now I'll tag Ageis and Furtheron. I know I'm supposed to tag 5 but I've tagged people before and don't want to be a pest!



8 comments:

Clare said...

what does "meme" mean?

Liz Hinds said...

I assume it comes from the French, meaning the same. I suppose the same questions are passed round, but I didn't know the word until I met it on blogs. Then it took me a while to work out what people were talking about!

Anonymous said...

You have succeeded in being funny.

Liz Hinds said...

Thank you, Steve!

I meant to say, while we were in Fuerteventura, we sat at a cafe next to a table of German people. The man wore a baseball cap, which is probably what made me think of him as being like you - an ex-pat American in Germany! Which island are you going to?

Lee said...

Interesting...and I'm glad you started blogging, Liz as I enjoy reading your blog. :)

Anonymous said...

meme

n. A unit of cultural information, such as a cultural practice or idea, that is transmitted verbally or by repeated action from one mind to another. Analogue of Gene.


[Shortening (modeled on gene) of mimeme, from Greek mimēma, something imitated, from mimeisthai, to imitate; see mimesis.]

Mauigirl said...

Liz, enjoyed your answers to the meme! Sounds as if you and I blog for similar reasons.

I never really thought about the origin of meme as a word and the idea of it being from the French word meme (with the little hat that I don't know how to make the keyboard do) makes a lot of sense since it means "same." But then the definnition "Anonymous" posted says it's from the Greek. I wonder whether the French word is actually from the Greek instead of Latin, the way most French is?

Anonymous said...

I blog to avoid getting TB.

see http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_west/6648491.stm