Sunday, May 27, 2007

Defeat snatched from the jaws of victory

You know me: I'm not a cry-er. But I almost cried today.

It was nearly the end of the game and Wales were one point ahead; we had the ball and we were in Australia's half. All we had to do was hang onto the ball for 50 seconds. And GARETH COOPER KICKED IT TO AUSTRALIA! Who went on to score.

After the slating the Australian press gave the Welsh team before the game, morally it was our victory. But that's not will go down in the record books. I have been whimpering quietly to myself all day. And I've had to buy an enormous bag of Maltesers.

7 comments:

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Oh, definitely a Maltesers situation!

James Higham said...

I understand, as Welsh says, that Maltesers are the way to go but surely the Welsh [the rugby team, that is] have always done this sort of thing?

I seem to recall a team which went downunder that began fighting each other on the field.

Liz Hinds said...

It's true that James Hook, our star, had a black eye - given to him by one of his own team.

We are very prone to shooting ourselves in the foot. That's what makes us so loveable!

Anonymous said...

Wouldn't you have bought a bag of Maltesers anyway? lol

I don't have a clue about rugby. But I do know there's something very sexy about a good scrum!

Liz Hinds said...

Yes, Misslionheart, I would probably have bought Maltesers anyway; I don't need much of an excuse!

And a scrum, oh, yes!

Lee said...

Sorry, Liz...I only watched snippets of the game. I'm not a huge fan of Union, preferring league, myself. Australia was lucky to have won by all reports. They need to pick up their act/game.

Lee said...

But, I did think of you and Welsh during those odd bits of the game that I watched, Liz. :)