Friday, April 13, 2007

Tonight's television

The man on Radio 4 PM's programme just asked when did you last see a bee? This afternoon, in the garden. Before that on Monday afternoon. There doesn't appear to be a bee shortage in Swansea.

Rather more worrying is the news that a bidding war is about to break out over the future of Neighbours. Its contract with the BBC runs out next year and ITV and Channel 5 are both bidding for it. (Whoops, just spilled water on my keyboard - does that matter, do you think?) If either of BBC's rivals get it you know what that will mean: adverts.

I'm currently watching Pie in the Sky repeats on ITV3 or 4. Originally shown on BBC, the fifty minute programme now has at least 3, and possibly 4, commercial breaks. It's enough to drive you around the bend. I am becoming very curmudgeonly and refuse to watch ITV unless it's something I really really want to see. (Pie in the Sky is pleasantly entertaining and something to cwch up in front of.)

If they do that to Neighbours, it'll be the end for this viewer. Ridiculous plots, bad acting, and chronic storylines are one thing; adverts something entirely unbearable.


Which sums up most of the characters in The Apprentice. If you haven't seen this, it's described as a 'job interview with a difference'. Sir Alan Sugar, businessman worth approximately £800,000,000, sets tasks for a group of hopeful entrepreneurs who all want the chance to become his apprentice, with a six-figure salary.


The applicants live in a house together and are divided into two teams. At the end of each week the losing team - the one that makes the least money - has to face Sir Alan and one of them is fired.

This is the third or fourth series of the show and is strangely addictive.

Thinking about it after last night's show, I decided there are a number of things that disturb me.

1) The applicants have all given up good jobs and are supposed to be la creme de la creme. Heaven help British business if that is the case.

2) The ease with which every one of them is willing to stab their so-called partners is scary. There seems to be no limit to what they will do to get the job. Which leads me to ...

3) Last night the girls decided to sell kisses to raise money. A few in the team weren't happy about it; one of the others said it was a struggle between her morals and the money. The money won.


The back-stabbing and bitching I can understand: if it looked as if I were being made the scapegoat when I didn't think it was my fault, I would undoubtedly do the same thing. (The only difference is that I wouldn't go on the show and do it in view of millions of people: I don't want people to know how horrid I really am!)

I suppose I was more disappointed that the girls resorted to the oldest profession to try to raise more money than the other team. Am I taking it too seriously? I don't know.

It's obvious that Sir Alan, in his decision about whom to sack, will be aware of audience figures, and that the 'characters', the ones the viewers will feel strongly about, will be kept in as long as possible. Last series he ended up with the best person in my opinion. Although she went on to resign within the year. Though, really, why anyone would want to work for him is a mystery to me.
Oh, and now it's time for Neighbours.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds just like the Apprentice with Donald Trump. I watched it for a few seasons, but it gets old.

Crushed said...

I foresee a trip to the pub...

Robert Henry Jackman said...

Liz - wasn't last night's Apprentice fantastic! Although I wasn't preparing for the intense moral debate which the 'cash for kisses' scandal started.

I've blogged about it on my blog - let me know what you think :)
http://kickingthedoordown.blogspot.com

Robert :)

Dr Michelle Tempest said...

I did not watch the apprentice, but money in life should not always come first. Michelle

Puss-in-Boots said...

We had the American version of "The Apprentice" here with Donald Trump doing the firing. I couldn't be bothered watching it.

But...I watch Home and Away, which I believe you also get. There are two factions here... H & A watchers or Neighbours fans. Obviously you're one of the latter...will that put us on opposite sides of the fence...so to speak?

Joy Des Jardins said...

That show is exactly like The Apprentice show here...with Donald Trump. All of that stuff goes on here too. I watch it pretty faithfully...I'm embarassed to say. Things can become pretty vicious between the apprentice hopefuls...sometimes it's painful to watch. Still....I do.

Lee said...

I never watch "Neighbours"...I don't think I've even seen one episode of it.

I loved "Pie In the Sky", though. I have a video of it here that my late brother bought for me as he, too, liked it and knew I did. I was cooking/cheffing professionally at the time...and it was so appropriate! ;)

Shani said...

I have tried and lost the struggle to follow the Apprentice - the Charity one they did for Comic Relief was entertaining, but the rest I find a little sad. As an employer - would you employ one of the fired one's when they return to the workplace - I don't fink so.

As for Neighbours, I have only just discovered this week that it is still running !! Hey ho..

Still without reality TV (not sure what category Neighbours falls into) there would be nothing for the Deadline to write about - equally addictive watching for all the wrong reasons. Especially when one or two of the contestants actually think they can write !!

Best wishes and thanks for the blog.

Shani

Shani said...

Now you are really missing out.

ITV 2 or 3 - Wednesday/Thursday night 10 pm.

Celebrities famous for being famous "Pap" other celebrities and produce a magazine called Deadline...
Watchable for how sad it is...

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Didn't know "Neighbours" was still going! Can't stand any reality shows, I'm afraid. What about the latest Archers episodes, Liz? Should Jenny take him?