Thursday, April 05, 2007

It's certainly not an easter egg

While blog-browsing, I noticed a comment on someone's blog about the chocolate Jesus sculpture that has caused a storm of protest in New York.




Following complaints from Catholics, primarily the Catholic League, the exhibit has been withdrawn.



It is sad that most times when Christians are in the news it is because they are protesting about something - whether it's a chocolate Jesus or Jerry Springer, the Opera - or arguing amongst themselves about gay clergymen or whose way is best.


If they really want to protest about something why not speak out against the traffiking of children for the sex trade? Or the children made to work on cocoa farms - for the chocolate we enjoy? I can't help thinking that God cares more about that than he does about a chocolate effigy.


I don't even know exactly what the protestors are upset about. Is it that the sculpture is made of chocolate (a material like any other) or that Jesus is portrayed nude and anatomically correctly? Would they have preferred him to be sexless?


Unlike Action Man, Jesus was a real man. That was the point of it: that God became man and as a man went to the cross. He died for me, and, heaven help us, for the Christian protestors - and the artist.


I wonder if there've been any protests about these chocolate treats from www.chocolatefantasies.com


The chocolate crucifix will cost you $4.50, while a chocolate Mary or Jesus (haloed head only) is $5.50.



Postscript: as a bit of a pedant, I've found myself most disturbed by the fact that both CNN and FoxNews, in their online reporting of the story, have called it confectionary.

xxx

4 comments:

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Well done, Liz: I totally agree with you; there are far more important things for Christians to protest about.

Btw, Happy, happy Easter to you and yours from sicily.

James Higham said...

One more example of the trivializing of Christianity. Christianity is the only way to go, if one reads into it with any seriousness but the supposed advocates of it leave me cold sometimes. Actually - often.

Colin Campbell said...

Yes Happy Easter, regardless of the commercial side of religious holidays, which make me sick. I like these holidays because I get to spend time with my family more than anything else.

Anonymous said...

Truth is we don't really know what Jesus looked like. So any depiction and worship of that depiction as Jesus' image is in my definition Idol Worship which is abhorred by God.
Let's worship Jesus for who he is and what he did for us and not what he looks like.
And I agree with you Liz, why can't Christians be depicted as standing up against the true evils of this world. Instead those who do stand up are ignored as the media flocks around the more mouthwatering (or chocolatey :-) ) stories.