Friday, February 09, 2007

Public Confessions of a Middle-aged Woman

I asked Santa for this book, and he very kindly brought it for me.

I finished reading it a few weeks ago. Not very impressed. It's a collection of short articles written originally for Sainsburys' magazine, and lots of the pieces don't seem to have a point. Or if they do, they fizzle out with no 'ending'. Very waffly (and I should know being the Queen of Waffle).
Anyway I was looking through my bookshelf (it mainly runs around the top of the study wall) for something or other when I spotted a familiar-looking book. I got a chair, clambered up and got the book down.
You know what I'm going to say next, don't you?
Yes, it was the same book. I can vaguely recall asking Santa for it for a previous Christmas. It obviously didn't make an impact on me then either. Hey ho.

9 comments:

Elsie said...

I confess that I did the same thing with a DVD recently. It must be middle age.

Lee said...

Isn't that annoying? You diddled yourself out of a worthwhile Christmas present...both times!

Anonymous said...

Good title, bad book. Oh, well.

Serena said...

That's funny. Sometimes I'll buy a book and only after I read a few pages do I realize that I've already read it. So annoying -- but NOT a symptom of senility. Unh-unh, not me.:)

Anonymous said...

I am lately in the habit of being seduced by the hype or the cover or the renowned author of a novel...and struggling to get 'into' it. I end up scanning through, disappointed and annoyed. Is it me? Seems not.

Marcia (MeeAugraphie) said...

I have to read parts of some fiction books to figure out if I have read it, so I can relate. It is a shame that you didn't remember it just because it was not a good read.

James Higham said...

So did you actually get to finish it in the end?

MaryB said...

What say we write a real "Public Confessions . . . "? Bet we could do lots better - just pulling stuff off our blogs! ;-)

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I agree with maryb!