Monday, February 26, 2007

It's going to be one of those weeks ...

I can see.

I have a bad habit of not bothering to open mail if it looks boring; it's now reached the point where I don't even pick it up from the floor where it's landed.

But this morning, with new determination and good intentions, I picked it up. To find a letter from the tax man. 'That's okay,' I thought. 'He'll be thanking me for paying my dues.'

Huh! No such thing. He's trying to penalise me £100 for a late tax return! Rubbish! Not only was my assessment done online before the end of January (when it was due), but he cashed my payment cheque on 1st February. And I have the bank statement to prove it if he wants to argue! The little fibber!

8 comments:

MissKris said...

I hate tax time! Ours aren't due here 'til April 15th in the US but the government makes sure all the booklets are sent out almost a day after the New Year arrives. Greedy bunch, eh? I start stressing about that time, too, and you'd think I'd sit right down and do them. But I always put them off to the last minute, SURE I'm going to owe! Sometimes we break even...sometimes we get a tidy bundle back...but I think in 32 years of marriage we've only owed ONCE! THAT is why it's so crazy that I stress and procrastinate, haha! I'm thinking maybe you didn't see my comment asking if I may add you to my Blogroll?? I would love to if you don't mind. :-)

Liz Hinds said...

Certainly, Kris, I'd be delighted! Aren't you on the Over 50 Bloggers blogroll? I thought that was where I'd found you. Cos I'm on that too.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Liz, I sympathise. I used to get literally suicidal at tax reurn time, as they must be employing people to make that form as complicated as possible, and, even though it was always in on time, I'd get the "fine" letter, too!

Hootin Anni said...

That's unbelievable...the tax man. Wow...take him to court. LOL

Lee said...

The Taxman is one person you just love proving to be incorrect! That and blowing in a breathalyser when you've not had a drink in weeks! Ha!

Anonymous said...

We all sympathise Liz, let's hope the week ends up better than you anticipated.

Shades said...

Don't let the (tax) bastards grind you down!

Liz Hinds said...

I won't, Ian. I've written them a stinky letter.