Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Grumpy Old Woman

Last night for dinner I had baked potato, pickled beetroot and stewed rhubarb. I think it was when I was doing the screwed-up face routine as I ate the rhubarb that I said to myself, 'Must go to the shops tomorrow.'

Normally I shop in Sainsburys but they're closed for four days for a re-vamp. In other words, they've closed just to upset me twice over. First time: making me go to Tesco's. Second time: I won't be able to find anything when they re-open. (I wonder if they're planning another series of Grumpy Old Women; I could audition.)

So there I am filling the car with petrol while being pelted with rain and blasted with wind, and I glance over at the car just leaving. It's driven by a woman and she's alone. And she looks as if she just stepped out of Vogue. Even with an extra-special effort I don't look like that even when I've just stepped out of the house; I certainly don't look like it now with my red nose and my hair looking as if I've been dragged, not through a hedge but, through a jungle, feet first. How do they do it, these women? As the King of Siam would have said - if he'd been scripted by Rodgers and Hammerstein, 'It is a puzzlement.'

* * * * * * * * * * *

We had a letter in work today. It said they were looking for people with 'a warm heart, a large teapot and a downstairs toilet'.

Also in work, Alun told me that the Welsh for microwave oven is popty ping. That's one of the better Welsh translations.

5 comments:

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

With you, Liz! There was a 6 stone beauty in the hairdresser's this morning who made me lose the will to live!

Liz Hinds said...

When I used to take the children to school there would always be a group of mums there that I called the model mums. How they had time (or energy) to get themselves ready as well as the children!

Newmania said...

Popty ping...love it I always think that Welsh accent is so sexy..at the risk of being a bit creepy

( Well that went well...)

Liz Hinds said...

It's not at all creepy, newmania (thanks for dropping by). Think of Richard Burton and ... um ... other famous Welsh men.

Clare said...

IOAN GRUFFUD! (Sorry about spelling)
Be still my beating heart....