Thursday, February 22, 2007

Community caff

This is Red Cafe (Cafe Coch), the home of Linden church's youth project. It's in the centre of the Mumbles Mile, a run of, I think about, 10 pubs, and was opened to provide a safe alternative venue for young teenagers.

As well as being open as a cafe, the project offers alternative education sessions for youngsters excluded from school and the like. It has internet facilities, a gym, a music studio, and it promotes good health and fairtrade options.

It's been open 6 years now and has a wonderful reputation with young people and the authorities.

This half-term, as it was last half-term and in the summer, the cafe is open during the day for the community, and today I've been in the kitchen making sandwiches, pouring coffee, and cooking pasta. It's like being a little girl pretending to run a restaurant.

I also made some of these chocolate raisin slices to sell. And very moreish they are too! Just ask my children.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great way to spend your day, when my boys were little I used to do voluntary work in a cafe and loved it.
Should be a place like The Red Cafe in every town, all teenagers would benifit from having the use of such a place :-)

Anonymous said...

Wannachocolateraisonslicerightnow!

Gary said...

If Jeanne sees that chocolate photo she will have to have a fix. Funny thing about addictions.

fools' cap said...

It's great to know that the Community Cafe can be brought out of storage, dusted, and started up again! Hope it goes really well. And that banner outside is brilliant, especially as you can't have all the doors wide open because of the cold weather.

The other day when I walked into a sandwich place I started mentally comparing their list to the Cafe's and wondering what ideas we could pilfer before I stopped myself... It's definately left a mark in my brain!!