Sunday, October 15, 2006

When peshwari gosht goes astray

We went for a curry last night. Last time we went out for curry, my lamb was so tough that when I tried to cut it, a piece jumped off my plate and landed on the shoe of the woman at the next table. Last night I spilled curry sauce down my cleavage (an admittedly ample cleavage but nevertheless). I fear I am rapidly approaching the time when my children will refuse to eat out with me. Might simply refuse to go out with me as I do have a tendency to get over-excited.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

In church this morning the speaker was talking about justice. He showed a short film of a woman thrown out of her home because she was the wrong caste. Then he asked people to shout out what emotions were roused by seeing the film. 'Anger', 'indignation', 'a sense of injustice', pity', and 'apathy'. No, the last wasn't shouted by me but it could have been. There was a moment when I felt something which, had it been fueled, could have turned into anger but it disappeared just as quickly as it arrived.

Apathy reigns.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What does apathy mean?

Liz Hinds said...

Don't know, don't care.

Anonymous said...

Q: What is the difference between incognizance and indifference?

A: I don't know and I don't care.

Actually, in the instance you describe, apathy is not one of the things that comes to my mind.

I have seen your comments at MaryB's frequently and you have been by my blog a few times. My first time here, but I tucked a marker in my sidebar to help navigate my way back.

Anonymous said...

Apathy, schmapathy.

I'm not apathetic about getting litte (or large) splatters of Indian, Italian, Mexican, Chinese, American, English, French, Cajun, Pacific Rim, etc. food on all my tops and blouses. What it is with that? No matter how careful I am, I manage to get some little schmutz on myself during every meal. Is this an aging issue? What's the solution? (OOOOooh, Liz, I smell a well-endowed study on the horizon for this. We can make millions!)

In the meantime - hope the curry washes out -

Anonymous said...

The curry sounds like a warming experience.

Liz Hinds said...

It was very warming, Steve!

Yes, Mary, I think you could be on to something here. Just give it a suitably scientific-sounding name and we could retire to invetsigate how likely food (from different nations of course) is to leap out of your mouth as age increases.

jomoore said...

I've just bought a cashmere jumper (from Tesco, I hasten to add, lest you think I've become some kind of fancy pants!). Anyway, that is guaranteed to attract food spillages, whereas my wear-all-the-time, easy-to-wash-and-dry fleece will see nary a spill or a splatter.

Give me a shout when you get the funding!