Thursday, October 26, 2006

It's not black and white, is it?

I got up this morning thinking, 'My mind is blogless!' but I've now read a post on Clare's blog that has set me thinking.

Does not being racist mean not seeing a difference or seeing a difference and rejoicing in it?

There's been a lot in the news recently particularly about Muslim women wearing veils. One part of me says, 'Yes, I agree; you need to see someone's face - the mouth, the eyebrows, the gestures - to really be able to converse with them.' The other part of me says, 'Yes, but these women have a right to express their religion - what they see as respect for the creator - and, if that's their choice, they should be allowed to do it.'

But if that choice means the children they teach are handicapped by possible misunderstanding of what's being said (as suggested in the case in the recent news of a veiled teacher), shouldn't they respect those children or get a different job.

Follow your beliefs - but not if they adversely affect others. (I know the teacher in that case argued that it didn't.) And, obviously, that's never more true than when talking about terrorists.

The word terrorists these days seems to be synonymous with Muslims. Yet I have heard respected Muslim leaders speak and say that the Koran doesn't teach murder. I know nothing about the faith of Islam but I know a bit about Christianity. The Bible says, 'An eye for an eye.' Take that further and you get a life for a life. It also says, 'Thou shalt not kill.' Which one do you abide by?

In Swansea we have a comparatively small ethnic community. A lot of Asians live in one particular part of town, Eritreans live in another. We're the same when we emigrate. Even if we don't all live together, we have Welsh Associations that give us the opportunity to mix with people from home. And certainly Brits in Spain all congregate together.

I will look at a person and be aware that that person is a different colour and I will make a special effort not to be racist. I will go out of my way to prove that I'm not. Does that make me racist?

5 comments:

Clare said...

I really don't know the answer... The veiled teacher thing made me think, as I have a fair amount of interest/experience of learning sign, that deaf people would have a lot of problems with people with veils - you rely so much on facial expression and lip movements. Does that mean there are a lot of deaf people in extreme (I guess I mean orthodox?)Muslim countries who don't have a clue what's going on?

I think it probably comes down to a dress code (in schools). I did work experience at a deaf primary school, and was told from the outset that I was not allowed to wear big jewllery (for example, I guess a large crucifix), or patterned tops, because it intereferred with the children's signing (its harder to see the hands, and jewellery is distracting). Surely its the same as being asked to remove my veil? If it interferes with the child's learning (which surely it must), then she should remove it, but that's not to say she can't wear it on her own time.

I don't know. I think being racist is reacting negatively towards a person because of their race, creed or colour. I think, like so many things now, it's become skewed in meaning, and now means ANY comment to people of different race/creed/colour to which they may, or may not take offence.

Hmm the comment is almost as long as my blog!

Elsie said...

Liz, respecting or acknowledging the differences between people doesn't make you a racist, merely human. I think racism is when you single out a person or group because of their differences and then claim that they are inferior in some way to your own group. Once you've done that, it's a quick step to discrimination. Then you're able to impact their lives negatively ("no, you can't live here; no, your kids can't play here; no, you can't dress that way, etc.). The answers are not black and white, as you pointed out, they're varying shades of gray. To quote Jiminy Cricket (I think), "let your conscience be your guide."

Anonymous said...

There are people I don't like. Don't get me wrong, not a race of people, or a group because they are Church of England, Catholic, or Muslim etc.. But I dislike extremist. If disliking Muslim extremist makes me a racist, then so be it. I dislike the Warlords in African countries that prey on their own people. If that makes me a racist, then so be it. Wish things could be better in this world, but don't see it happening anytime soon.

Liz Hinds said...

Yes, Steve, extremism in any form is bad.

Compromise without denying our faith (or whatever) seems to be a good way forward.

Imagine what discrimination Pinocchio would face being made of wood!

Anna said...

Well, I wouldn't be so sure about that. Extreme ironing is pretty cool.

http://www.extremeironing.com/
modules.php
?op=modload&name=
Gallery&file=index