Thursday, September 14, 2006

We have four cars

Now I know that sounds like a lot - especially as there are only three of us in the house - but let me explain.

We have two old Beetles, one old Porsche and one proper car. The Beetles are Brian (the soft-top) and Betty; Alfie is the Porsche; and the other car is the black one.

Betty, Brian and Alfie are all white and respond best to being talked to nicely. I like to tell Alfie what a good boy he is if he starts at the first or second attempt. Betty I will explain things to, like I did this morning. 'It's okay, Betty, I'm just moving you round the front so I can get Alfie out. I'm taking Alfie to the hairdressers because you're needed by Younger Son, not because I don't love you.'

You can't talk to modern cars in the same way; you don't feel that they listen to you. Although I did wonder if we were being a little hard on the black one by dismissively calling it the black one. But it just doesn't have the personality.

Brian only comes out in the summer and he's a babe magnet! When husband takes Alfie to work, all the men talk to him about his car; when he takes Brian it's all the girls who ooh and aah. His most recent conquest was an 86-year-old lady who told husband all about her first car and how she learned to drive, back in the thirties.

Alfie (above) is husband's pride and joy and Betty (right) is mine.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Went to the hairdressers this afternoon. It will be fine when I've mooshed it up a bit.

Also bought a pile of books in the charity shop. it is slightly un-nerving being served by a man in a denim mini-skirt and purple and orange eye shadow. He hasn't learned subtlety yet.

Driving home in Alfie, into the lowering sun, I pulled down the sun visor. Unfortunately when I do that it covers the mirror, meaning I have to choose between being able to see ahead and see behind. I'd rather know where I'm going than where I've been so it's small sacrifice.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have cars that will be collector's items someday. Love the names. A babe magnet? Big smile.

Anonymous said...

Glad I'm not the only one who has named cars. My first and favorite was named Bridget. My current car, while safe and dependable, hasn't yet earned a name.

Liz Hinds said...

Yes, Tim ,it's just you.