Friday, September 08, 2006

The things I have to put up with

Husband arrived home last night after a week in Glasgow. He looked at me and burst out laughing. 'Have you thought of hiring yourself out as a belisha beacon?' he asked.

I'd asked him to bring me home a little something from Scotland, preferably a man in a kilt; he didn't. However he told me he was thinking of me on his flight home. In the plane with him was the Glasgow Warriors rugby team in, for some obscure reason, their kit of shorts and jumpers. They travelled from the plane to the airport terminus in a coach. 'Standing jammed between all these big meaty men in their shorts, I thought of you,' he said. He knows my penchant for rugby players. And men in kilts.

My nose was glowing a little less today but to conceal it a bit more before I went to work, I put on some powder. I thought I had got away with it until Alun and I were talking about something and Alun said, 'It's good to have a sense of unity about the office, a sense of concord.' Something in his voice made me turn round quickly to look at him: he was doubled over with laughter.

Things didn't improve when Chris joined us in the office. He was asking Alun to attend a student event as he was unable to go and they wanted 'someone older.' Alun snorted indignantly and, as the oldest one present, I decided to get in first before either of them did. I said, 'Why don't I go instead as I'm the oldest?'
Almost to a man they said, 'We don't want someone THAT old!'

And this is a church office! Supposedly peopled by 'good' Christian workers. I don't think so. If I were in an ordinary office I could sue for sexual harassment. I said this to husband. He said, 'I don't it could be called sexual harassment; more like nose or age harassment.'

P.S. Llanelli Scarlets are just about to beat Glasgow Warriors by quite a lot to not much including a brilliant Dwayne Peel-made try. Some good news for the Welsh; not such a good night for the Ospreys who've lost their game.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would just tell the office they have a choice - you can self-certificate for far less than a very sore nose OR they shut up and let you get on with your work - Shirl said so!