Wednesday, August 30, 2006

An unexpected interlude

I spent yesterday evening in hospital. No, not a sudden dramatic deterioration in my ear condition but Younger Son with an abscess on the base of his spine. Or as he put it to me, 'I've got a pain in my arse.' (Which, as Alun said, is not a nice way to speak of your mother.)

He saw the GP at 4.45 pm; she sent him to Casualty (via home to get me to go with him); they admitted him to a ward where a more senior doctor would come and see him and decide what to do. At 10.00 pm a nurse suggested that I should go home as it would be some time before the doctors did their rounds.

During this time YS was remarkably cheerful in a grumbly sort of way. He was on a drip and not allowed to eat in case surgery was required so not only was he uncomfortable, he was hungry. And one thing YS does not like to be is hungry.

I pointed out to him that I had the same thing when I was eight and a half months pregnant meaning I couldn't lie on my back or my front - but he found small consolation in this.

In a well-meaning motherly way I sat next to him to try and keep him amused but he couldn't turn over and I couldn't hear so it looked as though we were rehearsing for a Two Ronnies sketch.

Things weren't helped by the man in the bed opposite. In order to wee, he needed to have a tap running. By the time he had finished, everyone in the ward had their legs crossed.

On leaving the ward I spotted a doctor who bore a remarkable resemblance to Adolf Hitler. Strangely enough I saw him again today digging up pipes for British Gas.

Younger Son went down to theatre at 12.30 pm today. Trying to find out exactly what was happening as he wasn't sure, I spoke to a young (about 15 years old) doctor who said he was on a different team and that YS was under the care of Dr Hari Krishna. At least that's what I think he said. (Have I mentioned that my hearing has not yet improved? I hope it gets better soon as I can't drive properly when I can't hear.) He (young doctor) thinks YS will be in hospital again tonight.

2 comments:

Elsie said...

Hoping that Younger Son is feeling better soon! If he's anything like my son, he'll stop having a pain in his arse and become a pain in yours. I'll be thinking of you both.

What is a Two Ronnies sketch?

Liz Hinds said...

The Two Ronnies are - or rather were as one, the bigger one, is dead - a double act. No, not a double act as such because they each appeared separately in a variety of sitcoms, but they had their own sketch show and are part of BBC history.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/ilove/years/1971/tv1.shtml