Wednesday, August 16, 2006

The eye of the beholder


Sophia Loren, who's 71, has been voted number 1 of "the world's most naturally beautiful celebrities who do not conform to stereotypes". This is good news for those of us approaching the autumn of our lives - although, personally, I like to think that it's still late Spring.

George Clooney came second. "... do not conform to stereotype"?! Anyway I'm a fan of George's so I won't object too much.

Meanwhile, in Australia, sheep producers are being asked to watch out for ugly sheep. Normally ugly lambs are culled but genetic researchers say that by studying the make-up of ugly sheep - obviously not Max Factor - they can find out what causes the flaws and help Australia's wool market.

I am rather concerned about this.

Who is to say what is beautiful and what is ugly? One man's ugly sheep could be another man's Sophia Loren.

I have a big nose and sticky-out ears but husband thinks I'm beautiful. Although, actually, now I come to think of it, he's never said those exact words.

Postscript

I asked husband if he thinks I am beautiful. He pondered for a moment and then said, 'That depends how you define beautiful.' (He was an attentive student in the Prince Charles School of Compliments.)

2 comments:

Shirley said...

George Clooney is beautiful, Sophia Loren is too,But I cannot see where they do not fit stereotypes!

Gosh if they kill ugly lambs, what next? Entire hospital nurseries could be wiped out as most babies resemble Winston Churchill or Wayne Rooney!

Anonymous said...

While you can still smile at your loved one's clumsy compliments (searching for such honesty is so endearing!) I am SURE you are beautiful beyond words, Liz.

Stereotypes are manmade, beauty is God's creation.