Friday, August 11, 2006

Bilko's Building Sets

In Maryb's latest post she talks about hi-tech toys of her growing-up. It reminded me of my favourite, not really hi-tech, toy. But I can't remember what it was called.

It was a house-building set. There was a rectangular green base with lots of holes in. Thin metal rods went in these and in the gaps between were fitted the bricks, doors and windows. I can't recall if the roofs came in bits or as whole units.

There was an instruction manual with designs for the most amazing houses, from the simplest cottages to several-storied mansions. It was complicated but engrossing. My children never owned anything like this: I guess it went out of fashion and production.

It wasn't Lego or Meccano. I keep thinking of Bilko but that can't be right! Does anyone out there have the slightest idea what I'm talking about?

No comments: