Saturday, July 01, 2006

Two days to go

... to Gogol.

On Monday we're going to see Gogol Bordello in Nottingham. It's not a concert as I thought but a nightclub-type gig, starting late. The tickets don't say a lot but do specify that crowd surfing is strictly prohibited. Husband wonders what I have let us in for.

We are going with husband's sister and her husband - he is the biggest liability I feel being inclined to insanity and wild gestures.

The big dilemma is what to wear. Jodie said her sister wore indie clothes. I know that doesn't mean a sari but what it does mean is no clearer. I have chosen my outfit anyway. I am going to wear the belly-dancing skirt I wore for Mata Hari - this sounds familiar - have I written it before?

On a different note, my new computer has arrived! It is super whizzo with an extra-large screen for short-sighted old people. (I do hope we are not the oldest people, or at least, the only old people, at Gogol's gig.) And a quiet clicky keyboard. And a specified legal version of Office so I can phone Microsoft without fear of recrimination.

On another different note, I was reading some of my earliest posts yesterday - the things you do when you have a new computer to play with - and I remembered my intention to become a philosopher.

That has gone rather by the wayside since Harvey's illness. His walks were ideal times for philosophising and having long discussions with him and myself; now we barely have time to pass the time of day before we 're back. And when we are out he is trailing behind me (as opposed to the good old days when he was a mile in front).

So not a lot of pondering gets pondered these days. Although I was listening to 40 Non-stop Soul Songs when I was ironing and I noticed that the Ben E. King version of Stand By Me includes a comb and a bicycle bell.

I am never sure of the difference between long-sightedness and short-sightedness. I can see things at a distance; it's things at closer than arm's-length that I have trouble with. (Although I can't see small writing at a long distance.) Does that make me short- or long- sighted?

Oh, yes, and good luck to England this afternoon. (Now that's something you won't often hear me say.)

2 comments:

Shirley said...

it's long sight because you can see long but not short distances, I am short sighted because anything further than my outstretched arm is a fuzzy blur!

Shirley said...

Oh and Indie means individual, so if you turned up in your fave outfit of purple cardigan over red polyester slacks (Yuck) then that would be 'indie'. Maybe Boho is more the look you're after!

Oh word is MrHu is that what dr Who will be called when he becomes a consultant?