Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Gogol Bordello

... were amazing, fantastic, brilliant. I want to be one.

The show was just as the review said it would be. The crowd was as varied a group as you could find anywhere. I could have worn a twin-set and pearls or my granny's parlour curtains and no-one would have noticed or cared; it was a great inclusive atmosphere - the punks, the goths, the little old lady and her toy boy, the students, the hobo in the corner and us.

And the energy of the show - fast, hectic, crazy, appearing totally spontaneous but all completely together.

The only sad thing is that I was with slightly boring people who wanted to watch from the balcony and not go down and jump around in the crowd. So I had to hop on my own where I was. But that was fine too.

So there was this girl banging an enormous drum: I want to be her now. She was singing too but it was more screaming than singing so I could do that. I think. Although I could not even shout loud enough to make myself heard so I might have to practise that a bit.

That's Eugene Hutz, the main singer and crazy man, on the drum supported by the crowds.

But really what I want to say is that if you get the chance, go and see Gogol Bordello, or at the very least, start wearing purple.

No comments: