Thursday, June 01, 2006

Our walkies

We've just come back from our walk. I waited until this evening as it's been hot today and it was still very warm. Has June brought summer with her?!

Our walk by Liz
These days when we walk I'm in the lead and Harvey waddles behind. I was ambling along merrily thinking happy thoughts when I glanced back to find there was no sign of Harvey. I shouted but his hearing isn't up to much so I doubled back and took the other path. Sure enough, Harvey had been so on another planet that he hadn't noticed the path I'd taken and was simply following a more interesting smell. For a slow dog he was quite a long way ahead of me but that was fine; I could see him.
At least it was fine until a jogger went past (incidentally, Harvey looked more likely to survive the evening than the jogger did).
This triggered something in Harvey and he started looking around.
I could see the anxious look on his face so I shouted and waved. Of course that was pointless as his eyesight isn't up to much either, so I ran until I was about 5 metres away from him and shouted and waved again. He looked at me in a panicky way and then ran in the opposite direction. I caught up with him in the end and we turned back soon after that. It was hot and I could see he had had enough.

Our walk by Harvey
First of all I do not waddle; I walk in a stately fashion. Secondly I was not on another planet; I just didn't want to go the way she wanted to go so I took charge. (It is an old dog's prerogative - and how many dogs do you know who can spell that?)
I agree about the jogger. What possesses these people to go running when they barely have the breath to sit still beats me.
But I was NOT anxious, nor was I panicky. I knew she had missed her exercise class the previous night so I thought she would appreciate a short run. I didn't make her run too far: I don't think she could have managed it. She was panting as it was - and tried to blame the heat. Huh!

3 comments:

Chris said...

HOT??? What do you mean, yesterday was hot???? Jo and I had taken a day out of our current exceptionally busy lives to take Thomas for a spy-training day (another story for another time, perhaps) deep in the leafy Surrey countryside. Whilst he was supposedly learning how to be James Bond she and I spent some of the morning investigating Halsemere (not too much effort needed there!) and the rest of the time wandering around a sculpture park somewhere near Hindhead. Lovely day but COOL and CLOUDY and definitely NOT HOT. (Perhaps it was the shade created by all of those leaves). This morning looks promising - perhaps the heat has ambled its way down the M4 from Gower.

Oh, it seems wjscoy. He's so coy I've no idea who he is.

Liz Hinds said...

Husband was in Hook yesterday and he mentioned that it had been cloudy.

It makes a change for wet Wales to have better weather than the south of England: that doesn't happen often!

It's a puzsc! Or is it a pvzsc?

Anna said...

We had hot weather too! And #I liked the harvey/liz stories.
Snepzdg: he's a rapper, I think.