Sunday, May 21, 2006

Legless

By a strange coincidence, Anne's mum phoned me this afternoon. I say a strange coincidence as I haven't seen her for some time.

It is eleven years since Anne died. At the time, her mum promised me a photo of Anne. This afternoon she said she still has the photos spread out where she left them on the dressing-table eleven years ago. Once she'd got them out, she couldn't bring herself to go through them. She wanted me to know that she hasn't forgotten and she will find a photo for me.

The loss of a child is too much.

She also told me that her other son-in-law, our doctor, has had his leg off. I was going to say something flippant but my heart's not in.

6 comments:

Anna said...

Your doctor's legless? (Somebody had to.)

But really. How come?

Anna said...

Whoops - you already did. Great (or weird) minds think alike, you see.

For heaven's sake, are these word verifications getting longer? I could write an essay in the time it will take me to type that out. (I have eye-to-screen coordination issues, you see.)

Liz Hinds said...

Septicaemia. Don't know how you spell it. Dr Costello, you know.

Shirley said...

Gosh! I feel like weeping, to lose a child (of any age) is terrible and I wanna hug mine now but Dort will probably sock me one!

Anna said...

Oh, right. Yet another thing to add to the 'stuff I might catch' pile.

And poor old Dr Costello, of course, yes.

Emmy Ellis said...

Dr comment - the way it read - sorry but it made me laugh even though it probably wasn't meant to.

This blog really is cool.

:o)