Thursday, April 13, 2006

Wives and boys

The Time Traveler's wife is looking at me reproachfully.

I'm sorry but I can't seem to settle to it. I make excuses for not reading it; the latest is that I am reading About a Boy. It was on my pile. I bought it in a charity shop with no real enthusiasm. I enjoyed Fever Pitch but haven't been keen on Nick Hornby's novels so I picked it up half-heartedly. But I'm enjoying it - maybe it is because I can see and hear Hugh Grant. I'm halfway through and the film is remarkably faithful to the book so far.

But I must get back to Mrs Who soon as we are to discuss it in Book Group some time after Easter.

Not that I have much time to do anything, being, as I am, at Harvey's beck and call. When anyone else is in the house with him, he curls up and sleeps happily; when he's here with me he barks. As soon as I get up, he barks; as soon as I get home from work, he barks. I am the signal to bark. If there was something obvious that he wanted then I would - to a certain extent - not mind; as it is he is treading on dangerous ground.

3 comments:

Anna said...

TT Wife is BRILLIANT! You really have got to read it. It doesn't take all that much concentration, if you read it in chunks. And it's so, so good. Now come on.

Anonymous said...

I have selected 3 novels for France (not til May but I was a Girl Guide) and none of them is for reviewing purposes.

One is the TT Wife - I am thus encouraged Anna. If you do, I will Liz, then we can compare notes! The 2 others are The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets by Eva Rice (R&J Book Club read) and Becoming Strangers by Louise Dean (a page-turner I am promised - by the cover).

I was going to take Labyrinth but my copy is hardback. Although we are going by car, I have to leave room for all the medical equipment so it is paperbacks for the holiday. I'll read Labyrinth this weekend I think.

That's a good plan now.

Anonymous said...

It's not 3:48PM here.