Saturday, April 01, 2006

Sales strategy

How is it that I go out to buy 3 birthday cards and I come back with 8? I say, 'Well, they'll come in handy,' but actually they'll join the fifty-six other cards that I bought because I liked them and then couldn't bear to part with them.

And I'm standing in the queue at Waterstone's and glance down at the display near the pay-desk where they have a selection of Quick Reads. Priced at £2.99, they must be a bargain, I think. (The sales exec who came up with this marketing ploy is onto a winner.) So I buy the one that promises to tell me 'How to change your life in 7 steps.'

I feel this can only be a good investment. I'm currently failing as a writer and dieter so I need to effect change somewhere. The last few months - most of this year, in fact - I've been living in a parallel universe. I've only just come back to the this one and it's time to wake up and smell the daffs.

I am not looking to be another Alan Sugar (heaven forbid). He was on with Jonathan Ross last night and gives the impression of a man lacking in humour. Life wouldn't be worth living if you couldn't have a good laugh.

I laughed when the first aid box fell on my foot in work. It could only happen in Linden; it could only happen to me.

6 comments:

Chris said...

Hi Liz - I bought one of those 'Quick Read' books and it was very second rate. As you say, a good marketing ploy.

I'm having trouble with my postings, it seems. The last three I've done don't seem to be there when I look at my blog page so please would you do me a huge favour and post a comment on the latest one you see. Many thanks.

Chris said...

PS. Should be dated 1st April

Anonymous said...

Quick Reads are part of a planned and resourced reading programme to encourage emergent and reluctant readers of all ages. Anyone who reads well and avidly will find the vocabulary and style limited. I read Book Boy by Joanna Trollope and marvelled she could write so sparingly in Janet & John style. Bored me to tears!

I do think they are overpriced; if trying to encourage readers, they should be heavily subsidised - selling at say, £1.

Shirley said...

I have made loads of cards and they're all in a drawer, about 20-30 of them? So when I see there's a birthday coming what do I do? Yup make a card!

chux said...

hiya i'm back again! You do update your blog often I can't keep up with it all!! Although I realise this is few post back from your latest, it reminded me of a conversation I had with a friend about throw cushions.

Hark you say, what could possibly be the connection with cards and throw cushions??

Well it's this, just as you said you only went in for 3 cards and bought 8. We have an ever increasing card drawer too that seems to self multiply! It's the same with throw cushions (I admit this may be just a blokes point of view) but they seem to reproduce too. Everytime I try to sit down on my sofa I have to clear 10 small square reproducing creatures called 'throw cushions' off first. They always increase in number never decrease. You check it out at home and after a week you'll agree with me too, you'll see. :-)
I also have to double check my bottom when I stand up to make sure there's none sticking to me, hoping to be taken to other parts of the house to reproduce there aswell!! :)

nice blog again - all the best Chux

Liz Hinds said...

Now throw cushions don't reproduce in this house. I wish they did; I could do with some more.

Dirty dishes and empty beer cans, now they reproduce.