Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Oh what a beautiful morning

Betty and I have had a lovely morning tootling about Gower. Once Betty had settled down that is.

Ever since I told her that the team van got a ticket for speeding she has wanted one too. She says it would do her street cred no end of good. I pointed out that it wouldn't do my record any good but she didn't care.

I managed to restrain her until we got to the common and then we let rip. Unfortunately we only managed 43 mph as we were stuck behind a horse box and overtaking is not our forte. But coming back down from Cefn Bryn we got to 45 mph. Betty insisted that her needle must be stuck; I don't think it is but we all need to maintain our little illusions. Anyway 45 in Betty feels fast as your teeth rattle.

The numberplate of the horse box was SAR, which reminded me of SARS. Wasn't that supposed to be the next great epidemic? Or is that pandemic? Which is bigger, I wonder. Are we all so disaster-happy these days that they had to invent a new word to make us take note. (According to Chambers, an epidemic is a widespread outbreak and a pandemic is a widespread epidemic.)

On the way back I bought a Roget's Thesaurus in a charity shop for 80p. I know I just paid a lot of money for a brand new Chambers thesaurus but this is Roget's and there's no-one quite like Roget.

Also on my way home I stopped at a roadside letterbox to drop off a letter but it was a dog-pooh bin.

I took some photos when I was out and intended to post them here so you can see how beautiful Gower is, but, unfortunately the camera has decided that its battery has run out. This despite the fact that I have it plugged into the mains.

Still you can't beat a Beetle for tootling.

No comments: