Sunday, April 09, 2006

Matt Dawson is to retire - yippee!

It's the first time I've seen a rugby referee go off injured in the middle of a game. He didn't come back on at half time. He looked all right so I suspect it was a stress-related condition: the first half was rather trying for everyone.

I think some of the Llanelli Scarlets were also suffering with stress. It's the only thing that can explain their poor second half performance. Giving Wasps, led by Lawrence Dallaglio (ppppttthhh), the Powergen Anglo-Welsh Cup. The only good news of the afternoon was that Matt Dawson has announced his retirement (he actually announced it on Friday but I only just heard about it). Martin Johnson was so ugly you couldn't help liking him but Dallaglio and Dawson just added arrogance to bad looks.

But what has become of lovely Jonny Wilkinson? And how come Gary Lineker, a footballer, gets to go out to Augusta - at the licence-payers' expense - to present the Masters golf?

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

In church this morning we had an open meeting. This means there isn't a designated speaker but those people who, given the slightest opportunity, will say something, can all stand up and say their pieces. We are supposed to be a very free church, easy-going and relaxed, where the people who come are all part of 'us' and encouraged to share thoughts and ideas. But very few do. Not out the front anyway. Or anywhere else that I know of. I've come to dread open meetings because you know who will stand up and you can predict the lines along which they will speak.

That's very strange: I hadn't realised I felt like that until I wrote it. I am becoming (have become?) very cynical.

One of the girls who often speaks - and whom I like very much and enjoy what she has to say as a rule - this morning - I nearly wrote shared before I stopped myself using the word in such a 'Christian' way - said that God had told her to fast. 'Just as I was about to get milk out of the fridge to put on my cereal, a little voice told me to fast,' she said.

I'm afraid I would have gone temporarily deaf if God had told me to fast BEFORE I'd had my cereal. I love my bran flakes and milk too much. Perhaps that's why I think God doesn't speak to me: I'm too busy crunching my cereal to hear him.

Never mind, it's the Easter special next week. On Good Friday we're having an 'installation' (one of Chris's words), whatever that may be, in the main hall, which will be open all day for people to call in and meditate, pray, read, write, whatever.

Then on Sunday we're having the Christmas concert replayed with an Easter theme. Alun has roped me in to be a puppeteer - the puppets are singing the Hallelujah Chorus. I have been rehearsing with a naked hand and I find I have a problem. Just like Gavin Henson, I forget to close my mouth when I've finished. But, unlike Gavin, at least I am aware that this is a problem.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

My dress is dyeing as I type.

5 comments:

Liz Hinds said...

Aaah, youth, what a wonderful thing! Sorry, did that sound patronising? It wasn't meant to be. I'm glad you benefitted from the morning and I'm sure lots of others did too. I think my reaction is more a comment on my state of mind/soul than on anything else.

Jon said...

Don't worry Liz, God doesn't speak to me either.

Anna said...

I like the thing where they open doors for people to go and pray/meditate. I don't like open meetings though. Encouraging everyone to share isn't always a good thing. More churches should do the former.

I wonder if any of the churches in our village will be holding puppet concerts? Sadly I think not.

Did you know there are 3 pubs, and 3 churches in our village? We must be an odd bunch. I wonder whether each church has a designated pub? And we are unwittingly using the Methodist pub? Nothing wrong with Methodists, of course. The pub we go to is the best one. The pub closest to the CofE church is unfriendly and commercial.

Shirley said...

I'm not overly keen on Open meetings actually at the moment I'm not keen on church but that's by the bye! Open meetings usually involve people who pray for eternity (You know the ones) and go way off the subject and we're all supposed to run up to them after and say how they blessed us, when really we didn't understand a word, I think the Quaker view to remain silent until GOD speaks is best!
What I really don't like is something I thought I needed and then discovered I don't, is 'free worship' I thought I needed to get away from Hymn sandwiches and found that 'free' and 'spontaneous' worship is just as predictable as the hymn sandwich.
i.e. after the third song (or usually the third rendition of the first song) we will all sing our own songs......NOT!
What a long one I should get my own blog huh?

jodes da princess said...

all I could ever hear when I fasted was m own bad temper telling me that God was stupid to not let me eat adn that the God pf chocolate was a hundred times more worthy.

So I stopped fasting with the belief that it led to blasphemy

a decision I've never regretted