Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Harvey just did a very stupid thing

He tried to eat a piece of foil. Then he choked on it. I had visions of me having to give him an emergency tracheotomy. I know vaguely what to do but when I say vaguely, I actually mean, I don't have a clue. I think it must be more than just cutting his throat open. That sounds way too bloody. And if there's blood then the next thing that will happen is me fainting. So all round that wouldn't be very helpful.

Anyway he coughed it up. Then tried to eat it again until I prised his mouth open and removed the offending item.

I'm not very good with blood. I have been known to faint while visiting a patient in hospital. And there wasn't even any blood then. In fact I once fainted in a first aid class at the mere mention of the red liquid. Which makes what I am going to say next pretty amazing I think!

I am going to go and give blood. It took me years to pluck up my courage to do it the first time and then I managed successfully for a couple of years. But then, about five years ago, I nearly fainted on the bed. I was fine about it - I'm used to it - but the nurses and doctor got upset. They suggested I should think carefully before giving blood again. So I've been thinking carefully ever since. But today brother-in-law went to donate and it made me think again that I really should. I am a fit and healthy woman and it's my duty to help others. And you get a lie-down and a biscuit afterwards. So I shall keep a lookout for the next session. And try not to make an excuse.

No comments: