Monday, February 20, 2006

Forfar 5 Fife 4

Any Plymouth Argyle fans out there? Daughter has to write 1000 words about them and as she knows nothing, she would be grateful for any tips.

When she mentioned the Plymouth football team I instantly thought, Plymouth Argyle. That is the result of a childhood spent with a wireless in the house. Coming home of a Saturday teatime, I'd find my grandfather sitting in the corner, listening to the football results and marking his pools coupons. The names of the teams were, and still are, as familiar as old clothes.
Charlton Athletic _ _ _ 1 _ _ Queen of the South _ _ _ 3
Although I think Queen of the South might have been Scottish so that wouldn't have happened.

It was always the same man reading the results. I don't think he ever took a holiday. In fact, he probably modelled for Tim, 'On the third stroke the time will be 4 15 and twenty seconds.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I've managed to find a new top to go over the new top I bought. Fortunately there were three women in the changing room at M&S advising their friend so I got them to advise me too. I really need someone to dress me.

Although I later discovered that M&S has an in-house style guru who will advise on colours and styles and help you choose outfits. And all for free. The trouble with something like that is that I would feel obliged to buy what she suggested even if I didn't like it. I suppose I could always take it back another day. When she wasn't there. Which she wasn't today.

That is dreadful: I just did a spellcheck and discovered I had spelt grateful as greatful. See, that's one of the signs of ageing I was talking about.

5 comments:

Tim said...

haha I'm a Plymouth fan (of sorts). When much younger I was selected for their soccer school and nearly signed for them!

What has she got to write?

Anna said...

Hi tim, please help..... have to write a generally interesting feature, with no guidance whatsoever! Are there any famous players/chants/matches? I have got the brazil/pele story and the FA cup near-miss. What is the ground called? Any other interesting facts about them? I am worried about writing the thing and then finding out that I have missed some really crucial information. Also, I know nothing about football. Heeeeelllllllppppp........

Tim said...

Well anna you should know that I'm English. It was clear from your comments on robs blog that my nationality could become a problem!

Sorry if I've lead you on but I'm not really a proper fan and would find it hard to name more than two of their players.

They've have moved into a new stadium but kept the name - Home Park. I think they mived two years ago.

Check out:
http://www.pafc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Home/0,,10364,00.html

Lots of history and stuff there but I assume you've checked it out already.

Although I'm not a true plymouth fan I do know football so if you want me to read anything you write let me know.

Anna said...

English, eh? (sharpening of knives)

Well, I'm sure your vicious anti-Welsh comments were simply born out of jealousy, and none were meant the way they sounded...

So, English-boy, I have some questions: 1. Is plymouth in Devon? 2. Which two players can you name? and 3. What is the Coca Cola Cup?

I really did mean it when I said I know nothing about football.

Tim said...

Oh dear! Maybe you should give me your email address and I'll send you everything I know. What are you writing? maybe I could research it for you and then you just make it sound good?!