Sunday, January 08, 2006

So, colonic irrigation

Apparently this trend for detox is not a good thing. I don't mean the occasional rest from food but the more extreme forms that people pay for. Our bodies are made to detox naturally and if we chemically or physically interfere with that, we're more likely to do harm than good.

Admittedly our diet these days has changed much from Adam's and it has to work harder to detox itself, but that's what evolution is about. Or supposed to be. But maybe that's what happened to the dinosaurs: their colons couldn't adapt quickly enough to cope with the large quantities of flesh that must have been needed for a Tyrannosaurus Rex. I wonder if that hypothesis has been considered. Maybe I should write a paper about it and submit it to Nature magazine. I could become an honorary professor and have the Hinds Theory of Evolution named after me and appear on Richard & Judy.

Anyway, back to the colon. Did you know that the inside of your colon is as pink and lovely as the inside of your cheek? It's not a horrid sewer overflowing with filth and muck and yucky things. Or so the man in the paper said. And he said he'd seen inside of one. I shall have to ask Mr Brown. He spends a lot of his time with his hands in guts so he should know.

When I was a little girl, my mum saved the wrapping paper to use the following Christmas. I think most not-well-off people did. And Corona, back when it was orange fizzy pop, came in bottles and you got 3d when you returned the bottle. Recycling before it became trendy. And before it became cheaper to make-and-chuck plastic bottles than to recycle glass ones. I must be very old.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

First visit to your flippin' blog and I get colonic irrigation?

The point about those big-jawed dinosaurs was well made though.

De-tox-wise, I'm trying the champagne method this weekend, which evolution has only had half my lifetime to help work properly, but I think it's worth a chance.

As for Corona... we used to collect them around Pendine in competition with Clive, a man with a mental age of eight. Then we'd all spend our earnings in the arcade, or he'd buy pints of milk and beer and then get on a bus. He died this year, still young.

Stay young Lizzie! We'll talk again about this bloggything.

Jon said...

Don't sell yourself short! With a theory like that I'd want to see you on Question Time.

Liz Hinds said...

Ah but you see, Jon, the point is that I would be making evolution accessible to the common people.

Jon said...

A truly admirable ambition