Thursday, January 05, 2006

It made me think

I was just reading Jodie's Jon's blog and it reminded me of something that made me think recently. I don't know how well I can explain this.

Dave, a Christian, is doing some work with a group of non-Christians - I am told by Pete that 'Dave is working on them though.' I meet Barry, one of the n-C, and he, knowing I am a Christian, is quick to say that he's not at all interested in that so there's no point me wasting my time trying to convert him. I see this as comment on Dave's behaviour. And am embarrassed/annoyed by it.

Am I at fault? Should we all be in-your-face Paul the apostle type Christians? (Can you tell that Paul is not my favourite Bible character?) Or does that just deter others? But if we're not, are we depriving them of their chance to find God?

No, that's rubbish. Another finding God is not dependent on me but on the Spirit. I can help but I can help by being who I am or rather by being who I'd like to be (i.e. much better than I am!) I am more likely to be a deterrent if I nag or if my lifestyle doesn't live up to what I 'preach'.

So, those are my thoughts. Any to add?

Just a final word: I wonder if Barry 'protesteth too much'?

1 comment:

jodes da princess said...

definately doesnt work.

one of my very good friends was really open minded about christianity until someone from the christian union (well known for his fundamentalism) told her that her recently deceased and very much loved grandfather was definatly in hell.

she decided, understandably, that there was no way she could worship a god that would send her grandad to hell, and so decided against traditional christianity.

However, shes searched by herself and now has a really cool relationship with a creator that cant really be determined within any particular religion, but still makes sense to her.

Maybe people just need to make sense of God in their own way. I couldnt make sense of fundamental CU boy's God, but he probably couldnt make sense of mine either. does that mean that either of us is wrong?

hmmm...might make a blog about this