Thursday, December 22, 2005

It's been a while

Life has been fairly busy of late. Enjoyable but full.

Thursday evening, it was round to uncle John's to meet the neighbours for a Christmas/birthday drink. Met Harvey who liked a little drop of whisky in his tea. Perhaps I should try my Harvey on that.

The Linden staff ( for want of a better word) met here for a celebratory end-of-term lunch on Friday. Very jolly. I enjoyed it; I hope others did too! I especially enjoyed finishing off the bread and butter pudding Lanni made.

Friday evening it was a change of scene as Maggi and I went to the Brangwyn to listen to the Dunvant Male Voice Choir. Lots of rather posher than us people.

Saturday and it was uncle John's 80th birthday party at our house. I was really quite terrifically well-organised, apart from not actually being dressed when the first guests arrived. A houseful of ladies in their seventies and eighties drank gin and champagne until well past my bedtime. Two things of note: no men were invited, except those that came along as 'plus one'; we should have removed one of our sofas and replaced it with tall chairs as the elderly cannot get out of sofas.

In between preparing for the party I also worked on the piece Tim B had asked me to write for Sunday morning on incarnation. Was still working on it Sunday morning but it went okay.

Unlike the afternoon rehearsal for the drumming. I couldn't start in the right place, finish in the right place or remember what I was doing in between places. Still it was all right on the night. The audience particularly liked our white bums as we left the stage. Note: next time, make sure chairs are dusted before use. Next time! Am I assuming there will be a next time?

Monday had flowers delivered to the door. I do love having flowers delivered to the door especially when they're for me and not for the lady down the road who is out and 'could you look after them until she gets in?' So that's twice I've had flowers delivered that are actually for me. And from my uncle each time. Husband should take lessons from uncle if he wants to have a gang of adoring women at his 80th birthday party.

And so that was that. A calm down up to Christmas now, just shopping, visiting, relaxing. And fighting with cat. Charlie has been staying with us while daughter and husband have been tripping round visiting. I feed her, let her out, talk nicely to her, play with her and still she turns on me. Why do cats do that? The cat we bought with house was the same. She would lie on your lap and let you stroke her and suddenly she would bite you! It must be a cat thing. Charlie will get her come-uppance tomorrow when they collect new puppy. Tee hee. She will soon regain her place of dominance though.

2 comments:

MaryB said...

What a full, fun week for you (white bums and all), much like my own. That's why I love this time of year. All is harried but filled with lots of love and laughter.

Help me here - what kind of whiskey is suitable for dropping into a cuppa? I've never been sure so I haven't tried it, and as I'm not a coffee drinker (so a drop of Bailey's is out, or is it?) I'd love a little spiked tea now an then!

Liz Hinds said...

I don't think you'd want to waste your malt whisky in tea so a blended Johnnie Walker or similar would be fine, I guess.

But I'm just guessing: I'm teetotal in a family of drinkers - and I came from a family of drinkers ... and talkers. I often think I might have been a changeling not drinking or talking much.