Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Lured like a lamb

Having been persuaded to open a Debenhams account on Saturday - at least my fourth but they keep getting invalidated as I don't use them after the initial save - I feel I must visit the store today.

It is offering a 'whopping 25% off' (some items but inevitably not the things I want), plus my 10% as a new cardholder, plus, and this is the best bit, a free box of Belgian chocolates to card-holders.

You would think I would have had enough chocolate, having practically lived on it since Sunday morning, but my view is that you can never have enough chocolate. It will come in useful at some point, I'm convinced. When the latest rejection drops on my doormat or ... it's raining or ... it's Wednesday.

So, anyway, my plan for today is to do ALL my Christmas shopping in one fell swoop. I will not dither and faff about for ages, wondering whether someone will like the amusing tumbling ferret or not; I will just buy it.

After all, how many of us really like the presents we're given by distant relatives who we never see from one year to the next and who know nothing about our likes and dislikes? How much better it would be if we bought stethoscopes for Africa (as Jan did for my birthday) or goats or worms. But if I did that, I would be sure to upset people and already I am missing five cards that I normally receive on my birthday, so am wondering what upset I have inadvertently caused.

There was a massive power cut in Bournemouth yesterday. Husband phoned me at 8.45 from bed - for warmth - where he was cuddling his laptop by candle-light. That's the disadvantage of using television just for watching Neighbours; you don't know what's going on in the world.

Meanwhile first son has not emailed from Madrid in response to my emails. Has there been a plane crash? Is he lying unidentified in some strange hospital bed calling for me. I wish I knew as there is a parcel here for him and I want to know if it's my birthday present and I can open it.

Must make a list now of 'things to do' in town. And shower. And go.

1 comment:

Anna said...

You can buy me some goats if you like! As long as they are the fainting kind.